Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

does a aftermarket pipe really make that big of difference

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does a aftermarket pipe really make that big of difference

some say that a pipe made a huge difference, some say it didn't really do that much expect make the bike a lot louder!!!! Who should you believe

Old 07-15-2003, 05:50 PM
CED
Pro Rider

I f it is tuned right and clutched right it definitely makes a big difference.If everything does not match the performance curve of the pipe then yes all it will do is make more noise.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It makes a huge differance on 2strokes but not that much on a 4stroke.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:02 AM
Range Rover

yeah but all the after market pipes for 2 stroke look the same the expansion chamber is just brought in sooner than stock i am sure it make a difference but really how much with the polaris they have always under clutched there machines even there sleds i bet if you clutched it right with the stock pipe you could get it very close to running good with out the pipe but also there pipes are far from being good there pipes suck to say the least they choke the engine bad yeah they go hand and hand but some of these aftermarket pipe prices seem to be on the high side for the gains they claim to get just my 02

Old 07-16-2003, 12:11 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you pipe a 2stroke Polaris it is also important to clutch the bike to the pipe.That is why it is best to buy the pipe and clutch kit from the same manufaturer.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tweeker,

Do you have a pipe on your TB? If so what pipe is it?

And yes a pipe does make a huge difference in power. HPD trailpipe is a 8hp gain over stock. That is a huge gain. That is a 40percent gain over stock. But the key of the pipe is making sure the clutching is right to reach the rpm,s where the powerband is. If you dont have a clutch that will react with the powerband then you are missing alot of power. On a 4 stroke it will not make much of a difference in hp but make a difference in torque. HPD is the only one that I know of that claims a big increase in hp on a 4 stroke with the powermax exhaust.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:22 AM
Range Rover

i have designed my own pipe and still in the r&d process right now i am playing around with clutch setup i need to find a dyno so i can get some pulls to see where the power band is at so if any one knows of one i am in mn

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2003, 12:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Ok, I bought the HPD Powermaxx exhaust and aggressive clutch kit ath the same time. I don't know what made the difference but I definately noticed it. It pulled a LOT harder and I gained a few MPH's, but got there a lot faster. The pipe gave a lot more low and mid range torque and absolutely ROARS at wide open. For comparison. When I was stock, I raced my friend with a stock 01 DS650. He is as good of a rider *** I am ,and is about 50 LBS lighter[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] When we first raced, we were even at the start and he would start pullin on me in 2nd gear. Now, when I did my mods, we raced again. He also had a K&N at this time. He could not start pullin on me until he hit 4th. We both agreed that my scram was a lot faster now. I do not regret getting the pipe and clutch kit.

Old 07-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Tweeker, just so you know, to get accurate readings with your variable transmission on a dyno, you would have to dyno it at the crank. At the rear wheels wopuld not be accurate enough to tell you squat, just so you know.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

bigbadscam.. where did u get the agressive clutch who makes it and how much was it?

Quick Reply: does a aftermarket pipe really make that big of difference