Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

"AWD" has mind of its own!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "AWD" has mind of its own!!!

Hi, I'm a newbie to your forum, Very informative by the way, and I have a small problem with my '97 explorer. When I press the AWD button, sometime it lites on sometimes it doesn't.. I shift back and forth a few times then it comes on. Is there a switch in by the tranny lever going bad or is it something in the wiring? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.... Honcho

Old 07-25-2003, 07:54 AM
Pro Rider

Try taking the switch apart and cleaning the contacts real well and see if it fixes the problem.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe it's just being honest. Polaris AWD doesn't engage unless the machine senses some slippage in the rear tires. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, though, I'd check the contacts, as mentioned, I'd also check the light itself, perhaps the bulb/led/whatever is going. Is the machine actually going into AWD? Perhaps the problem is bigger?

Old 07-25-2003, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

thats not true i have a 97 scram and it gose from the trany to the front transfer case then to the fron differential the chains spin all the time until you take the center drive chain off. when you press the button it's suppose to lock in the front hubs. check the oil in the hubs cause mine did the same thing til I put more oil in them.

Old 07-28-2003, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

Pechmial
Polaris AWD is engaged when you press the AWD button... This energizes the electromagnet coils in the front hubs and you have full four wheel drive...

Anyway found problem... checked oil in hubs = O.K., checked continuity in AWD switch = O.K., Checked continuity in AWD light bulb = O.K., Checked voltage to transmission shifter switch = O.K., checked transmission shifter switch voltage in neutral =O.K., checked transmission shifter switch voltage in forward = NO VOLTAGE (PROBLEM FOUND)., checked transmission shifter switch voltage in reverse = NO VOLTAGE (PROBLEM FOUND)... Noticed that neutral light on light Bezel stays lit...(PROBLEM CONFIRMED)...The transmission shifter switch is shot..... Took shift linkage apart, disconnected the transmission switch wiring from board under light, removed the shifter mechanism from bike and put in vise, took apart the shifter mechanism slowly ( unit is under spring pressure) and voila.. a switch with a broken toggle.. its stuck in neutral all the time therefore power doesn't go to the AWD...must order new switch

Thanks for the help!
Honcho

Old 07-28-2003, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

The 4wd is not engaged at the push of the button. The Polaris's use a Hillard clutch design in the front and when the system senses a loss of traction at the rear wheels, 1/5 of a wheelspin to be exact, the coils in the hub are engaged and you have 4wd. The chain/driveshaft will spin in 4wd or non 4wd, but the hubs are not actually being turned by the motor until the slippage is present to engage the coils.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:46 AM
Trailblazer

thats not true polaris four wheel drive is alltime 4x4 when engaged

Old 07-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Not to create a debate here, but pressing the "AWD" button only enables the system. As NCScrambler pointed out, some slip needs to be sensed before the front drive is engaged.

The was actually covered before on this form (thread here).

Please note I was not now (or in the thread above) trying to slam the Polaris AWD system, just making note of a peculiarity of what, on the whole, appears to be a rock solid system.

Old 07-28-2003, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

I am sorry to say newbies, you are wrong. Pechmial and myself are correct.

Old 07-28-2003, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

go ask your local polaris dealer. not trying to be a smart a**.

Quick Reply: "AWD" has mind of its own!!!