Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need 00 scrambler chain help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need 00 scrambler chain help

I have my cousins '00 scrambler 500 borrowed. Well, of course its my baby if anything happens so I'm all over after every ride. I dont have the manual for it. I notice that the chain has enough slack in it that when sitting the chain touches the top of the swing arm. I need to know how tight should the chain be, how to adjust it, and...as a afterthought, did the 00 have the protection from the factory that will keep the chain from smashing the trans case? I have read that is a problem and I want to avoid that. If it doesnt will the protection Polaris came out with on later models bolt on mine?

MAN, that scram will RUN. I havent found any quad that isnt a racer that will hang with it. I'm thinking it may be the fastest factory 4x4 made. That power is addictive.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

To check the slack, move it slightly forward to gain slack at the top side of the rear chain. There should be 3/16"-3/8" deflection. To adjust the chainyou need to loosen the chain gaurd, the 2 eccentric clamp bolts an the rear housing, and the rear brake caliper mounting bolts. Use a 2 1/2" wrench (may be in the tool kit, or a big pair of channel locks") to rotate the housing to adjust the chain slack. There is also another way. Insert a pin punch through the sprocket hub and into the eccentric axel housing. Roll the quad ahead or back to adjust chain slack. The eccentric bolts get torqued to 40 ftlbs WITH A HITCH or 30 ftlbs WITHOUT A HITCH. The brake caliper bolts get torqued to 10-12 ftlbs. Repostion the chain guide to allow 1/8" clearance between sprocket and guide. The 00 scram did come with a case saver, but it is a small ceap plastic POS. In 02? they came out with a better one. From what I understand it will not bolt onto the tranny. They mounting holes are different. If you plan on doing a lot of jumping you should get a chain tensionor. It will prevent your chain from coming loose and possible breaking.

Its pretty fast for a heavy automatic Polaris huh? How does it compare to your Wolverine???

Old 07-29-2003, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Well, in raw pulling power, accelleration, and top end speed it beats everything I have seen. Period. I ride with mostly trail riders on sport/utilities, not racers.It has titan 489s on it I think. It has gone through everything my wolv has. It rides as well as my wolv. The stock size tires have caused it to get high centered on a rock here and there. but push awd and reverse and your on your way. Problems it has had is the starter went out, the diaphram in the carb went bad, and once on a trail ride one of the front hubs didnt want to disengage for a few seconds. My cousins brother has replaced the clutches, belt, and belt cover, but I dont know what he put in. It revves kindof high all the time. If it were mine I'd lower the revves and put a more aggressive tire on it, just because there is nothing I like better than deep mud holes. I would also snorkel the trans and air intake. Im gonna do that to the kodiak and wolv. I want to take them swimming hehe.

Now I like the semi auto in my wolv cause I like to be in control of the engine rpm. When im trail riding I like to be able to tool along with out high revves. I feel a little more secure on it as far as reliablity goes but it desperatly needs more power. Im gonna stroke it to a 430 as soon as my cash flow allows. Then I think it will be a much better machine. I wish it were liquid cooled. If the stroking will give it enough power, it will be just as fun a machine as the scrambler I think.

Thanks alot for the chain info. Im gonna be on that tomorrow after work first thing. That is exactly the info I needed.

Old 07-29-2003, 12:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like he had a monday morning quad, you know what I mean? He may have put a clutch kit in it. I have one on mine and the belt doesn't engage to around 2000 rpm, or so. That make its better for more aggressive riding and for wheelies. It can be kinda a pain in the slow stuff though.

Old 07-29-2003, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Well, compared to the problems some have had, this Monday morning scrambler is nothing to worry about hehe. No matter the brand or model, there are always good and bad.

Thank you again for the info. It was just what I needed to get the job done. It worked out perfectly.

Old 07-30-2003, 01:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Glad to help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]