Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

installing a clutch spring

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing a clutch spring

i just got my stage one kit from Ritter, and i must say i am impressed with the service and the parts! but i have a problem, ive never worked on these things, so im not sure how to install the white clutch spring in my trail boss 330. i dont know where to start. if anybody could direct me to some instructions of some kind, i would really appreciate it. the only directions i got for installing the spring was make sure the x's are in line or sumthing, then it says refer to manual, i dont have this manual. thanks in advance.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

The spring change is easy, just remove the clutch cover and you will see the clutch towards the front of the atv, this is called the primary or drive clutch. This is the one you want. You can leave the clutch on the atv to change the spring, so just remove the 6 small bolts and the big bolt in the middle. The cover has tension on it from the spring, so be careful, also pay attention to the x marks on the cover and the rest of the clutch, if you can'tfind them, use a marker before you begin to make sure to get the cover lined back up with the rest of the clutch as that will keep it in balance. After the cover is removed you will see the spring, just pull it out, put in the new one, put the cover back on, replace the clutch cover and hang on. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

thanks a bunch!! i appreciate your help

Old 08-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just don't over tighten the bolts. the small ones are 8 to 12 ft. .lbs, and the big bolt is 50 ft. .lbs. you should clean the prim. clucth while it's apart as well. happy engauging!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer

ok, i have intalled all of the parts of the performance kit, but was unable to turn the mix.screw counterclockwise 1/4 of a turn due to the fact that it just would not budge, now i have to run with the choke pulled all the way out. im afraid if i attempt to turn the screw anymore, i will strip out the head, any suugestions?

ps. by the way, i recomend ritter cycle for all your performance needs. great service, and rick is a hell of a guy![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2003, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

well, i supose nobody has the answer. so i plugged one of the holes, all is well for now. still would like to know how your supposed to turn that little bitty screw.

Old 08-26-2003, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

I have just purched a 03 trailboss & was going to upgrade it also with the RCR upgrade kit.$325.00. How the new performance ? Was it worth the cost ? Polaris dealership said it might get me a 2 MPH increase.

Old 08-26-2003, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer

man, this thing aint got nuthin but power all the way thru!! sit on the back of the seat and goose it for a quik wheelie!! it doesnt go much faster but it dont take long to its top speed. the performance kit is well worth every penny, and rick is an outstanding guy. if it still aint fast enought for ya, i bet you can get some clutches for it!!
the polaris dealer in dexter MO wouldnt even install it, didnt have parts, and wouldnt install ritters parts because "they dont deal with ritter cycle" i say screw the dealers, they dont want you to juice up your bike, they want you to buy a bigger, faster more expensive bike.

Old 08-26-2003, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer

This is my 3rd Trailboss.My other 2 are 2000 models.They have been bullet proof,that's why I bought the 3rd one 03 model.I'm not too worried about top end speed ( I'm an old fart ) but like the sound of a better hole shot.Between all of my Buds we have 5 trailBoss & my 3. We all agreed to get the same model so no one would have an edge over the others. We all are on an even playing field,you win by skill and driving ability,we ride on several different ATV area,s that you pay to ride on.I can get a new pipe due to the fact I was rear ended buy a friend and it bent my pipe. So why not sneak in a few performance parts while I'm at it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I weigh more than most of them, I need that extra punch. But I'm not as heavy as "MIKE"

Old 08-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Range Rover

In our neighborhood there are 4 TrailBoss 330's. All bought from the same dealer within weeks of each other. Its funny but my neighbors has twice the nut and top end as the other three. No mods have been done to any of them as they are all still under warranty. Any suggestions to that?

Quick Reply: installing a clutch spring