Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Engine oil in the predator air box?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine oil in the predator air box?

I went riding with my cousin yesterday and he said his predators engine was studdering and not running right. When we got it back home, he took the air box lid off thinking it was just a dirty filter and there was about 2 inches of engine oil in the box. He said that he had the bike standing up on the grab bar for a couple of days so he could install skid plates, but we could not figure out how oil would get there. Has anyone else had this happen? and should he make a trip to the dealer?

Old 09-02-2003, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

I've had oil accumulate in the air box too after a hard weekend of duning..........it's coming from my crank case vent line, and most likely is due to the fact that I've kept the oil level too high.

I've noticed after letting the quad sit for a couple days, then checking the oil level on the dipstick, it reads 3/4"-1" low below the "fill with 8 oz" line. So I topped it off.

After running it 1-2 minutes and then check the oil level, now mine will read 1/4-1/2" OVER the full line.....

I've never been a fan of trailering or storing any of my quads on the rear grab bars.......too many liquids like fuel, oil, battery acid, or radiator can seep out a vent line.

Anyone else notice their oil level change, and the manual really isn't clear on when to check the proper level, whether cold, or after running it a couple minutes.?

Old 09-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer

If the quad was standing on the grab bar, the oil will definitely run out and into the box. The oil won't come out of the tank, just what is in the motor.

Everyone should be checking the oil with the quad warm, or just recently running, this gets the oil that is resting in motor pumped back through to fill the tank. If you check the oil after the quad has been setting long enough to get cold, it will always read higher than the correct level.

Ryan

Old 09-02-2003, 11:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Heap, mine also migrates. With the CFM tank on there.....that gets to be a lot of oil moving around. Doin' just like you said, start it up for a bit then check. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-03-2003, 12:39 AM
Range Rover

heapster i had the same prop checked my oil after sitting read low then added oil fired it up and let it warm up then oil level was hi just put in the 2 quarts thats good i think the oil in the resivoir dosent red right after sitting or some thing i changed mine and it reads fine now or i check it after running a bit

Old 09-03-2003, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

i flipped my scrambler on the side twice, and the two times there was oil in the air filter box. the dealer told me it was normal because it is not built for driving upside down :-)

Old 09-03-2003, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

This oil over-flow can be a real pain, for those of us that at one time or another have removed the airbox for our carb mount clamp on K&N. I had installed a crank case breather filter for the last dune trip, and after burping "some" oil out, it totally covered and washed down the whole rear spring and swing-arm in lovely PS4 oil which really is a mess while out in the sand........the crank case breather filter lasted one ride, then the airbox went back on the quad.........

Lesson Learned, don't overfill the oil level or you'll burp it out.......