Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD

Will the AWDwork on a 95 polaris sportman 400 if the rev limiter is not working? It has not been by passed it is just not working? The AWD light will not come on and the front hubs will not engage. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default AWD

I think the AWD, and rev limiter all are interconnected in the headlight pod.

One thing to consider, neither will work if the battery is too low on voltage.

Farmr

Old 09-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Trailblazer
Default AWD

joelmandel:
Do your neutral and reverse lites work? also when you say " if the rev limiter is not working" do you mean the actual speed limiter or when you press the yellow over ride button?

I think you mean the yellow over ride button:

In neutral : power from red/white wire goes to trans switch to green/white wire to neutral indicator lite to ground.

In reverse: power from red/white wire goes to trans switch to purple wire to reverse lite to ground. The purple wire splits and goes to the over ride switch -> DON'T press over ride button and power goes through to green wire to speed limiter, slowing you. DO press over ride button and power goes through to grey/white wire to AWD switch. DON'T press AWD button and you have fast reverse in two wheel drive. DO press AWD button and power goes through to gray wire which splits and feeds the AWD lite to ground and the AWD coils to ground. fast 4x4 in reverse.

In forward: power from red/white wire goes to trans switch to grey/white wire to AWD switch. DON'T press AWD button and you have fast forward in two wheel drive. DO press AWD button and power goes through to gray wire which splits and feeds the AWD lite to ground and the AWD coils to ground. fast 4x4 in forward.

So i would say:
1) If in forward, you should still have AWD and an AWD lite, if not, I would say you have either a disconnected or shorted red/white wire to trans switch, damaged trans switch, disconnected or shorted grey/white wire to AWD switch, damaged AWD switch, or disconnected grey wire from AWD switch were it connects at terminal board. However, if its the trans switch then you should have no neutral or reverse lites in those positions...

2) If in reverse, you should have a reverse lite, if not, you have either a disconnected or shorted red/white wire to trans switch, damaged trans switch, a shorted purple wire from trans switch to terminal board, or a disconnected purple wire from trans switch at terminal board, . If you have a reverse light, then you have a disconnected purple wire at terminal board from over ride switch, resulting in no power to grey/white wire therefore no AWD and no hub engagement.

Hope this helps...
...Honcho

Old 09-04-2003, 08:48 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AWD

To disable the rev limiter on your bike follow the black wire from the limiter and unplug it from the wiree block.I have done this on both my machines and it works great but you still have to hold the button in for 4x4 in reverse.Also make sure the AWD bulb is not burned out this light has to be lit up to complete the 4x4 circut.