Diode for 3 Headlight Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 11:39 PM
MH
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diode for 3 Headlight Conversion Kit

Hello,

For converting the Polaris 3 headlight system to allow all 3 lights to be on while light switch is in the HIGH beam selection, where can I obtain a diode for use in the conversion process? What are the exact specifications that I am looking for in a diode? Watts vs Amps vs Volts, etc?

Please assist if you know anything about this topic.

Thanks,

Matt
mywasteofspace@earthlink.net

Old 09-17-2003, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

MH The diodes your looking for can be bought at Radio Shack. You need two 3 amp diodes, twist them together and find the yellow and green wires, I have A SP 700 there under the hood. You just jump the two diodes between the wires making sure the stripes on the diodes are closest to the green wire. I would solder all of the connections. Good Luck It works great !! and I have had no problems. John

Old 09-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

You might want to consider using a relay instead of diodes, personally, I just used a simple toggle switch.

Old 08-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

hey, did you guys use the actual conversion kit or make something yourself. the kits I have seen on ebay say there is not cutting of the wires, is this true. I don't want to cut or solder and wires in. if I get the kit does it come with everything I'll need or do I still need to purchase diodes or relays.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Range Rover

Link to previous messages on this subject

I got the three pack of rectifier diodes and did two Sportsmans (one 2000 500 and one 2003 500 HO). Very simple, If I was doing again I might be inclined to put a switch in also. Might do that when I install my new winch switch.

If you use the 3M blue splicers that do three wires you can do the mod without cutting anything!

SLG

(was at the Radio Shack in the mall, did a search on this site for lights under Polaris and got the part number, told the guy what I wanted and he found and sold them to me, the only way to fly)

Old 08-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

SWEET it works. I went to radio shack and bought the 6amp rectifier diodes part #276-1661 which comes as a four pack for $2.44 and made my own headlight conversion kit thanks to all you guys. I crimped a green wire to the silver striped side of the diode and a yellow wire to the black side of the diode. then used heat shrink tubing to cover all of it and then used two scotch locks to splice into the green and yellow factory wires under the hood. I had to take the front rack off and turn the handle bars to get the hood cover off. then cut the zip ties off the harness to gain acces to the wires. just splice green to green and yellow to yellow, man works great and I made four of them for about $3.00 I posted a parts list and directions under utility quads if anyone is interested in making their own. thanks again guys this was a cheap and awesome modification and damn the amount of light being put out now is cool as hell.