Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

YZF 450 vs Predator

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YZF 450 vs Predator

I got a chance to ride the 450 today at Silver lake. Switched quads for a few runs down the drag strip with a YZF 450 owner.

Ride differences:

The entire size of the 450 is so much smaller than the Predator. It felt like a little toy when I sat on it, and it didn't put you 'into' the quad as the Predator does, with it's seat design. The 450 seemed to make the rider sit up higher, which gives it that feeling as if you are much larger than the quad itself.

The weight of the quad is noticeable different. It felt almost too light(which went right into the actual size of the quad)

The 450 was fantastic in 1 area; shifting. It shifted super easy from 1st -5th. In Comparison, the predator has a tougher shift, not hard, just not as easy as the 450.

The suspension wasn't all that great at lower speeds(as the drag strip had some whoops), higher speeds the suspension travelled as well as the Predator.

The 450 I rode, was equiped with a pipe and paddles, and really jumped at the line.

In the first run with the YZF 450 owners, my buddy Bryan and I, rode the YZFs while the YZF owners tried out our Predators.

2 Predators(bone stock, no paddles)
2 YZF 450s(both piped, 1 w/Paddles)
1 Raptor(piped and Paddles)

1st run, I leap out to a huge lead over everyone(even the other YZF), due mainly to the paddles.
1 YZF(Paddles, Piped)
2 YZF(Piped)
3 Raptor
4 Predator
5 Predator

2nd Run, after getting a little feel for the machines;
1 YZF(piped, paddles)
2 YZF(Piped)
3 Predator
4 Predator
5 Raptor

3rd Run(I sat it out and dropped the flag for the rest).
1 YZF(piped)
2 Predator
3 Predator
4 Raptor

4th run(switched bac to our Predators)
1 Predator(Me)
2 YZF(piped, paddles)
3 Predator(Bryan)
4 YZF(piped)
5 Raptor(starting to feel bad for this guy)

5th run(last run)
1 Predator(Bryan)
2 Predator (Me)
3 YZF(piped, paddles)
4 Raptor
5 YZF(piped)

It really came down to rider ability(i'm not really that great at draggin, but these guys weren't that great either). Once the YZF owners got used to the setup of the Predator, they held pretty tight with Bryan and I. Although, once we got our Predators back, it was a done deal.

The YZF450 has a really good 4th-5th gear powerband, that makes for some great top end. But the 3rd gear Powerband for the Predator eats up the 450 in the early part of the race, and makes some great headroom and allows the Predator to roll on into the top slots.
The weight difference, was a big factor. More weight in the front of the Predator doesn't allow the front end to climb as the YZF wanted to do.

All in all, I am really happy that I have a Predator. The YZF seemed pretty quick and had some good power behind it, definately has a good power-weight ratio.

I'd still go to the show room and buy a Predator, though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2003, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

the predator is no match for the 450. that thing gets up and really goes, really no tire spin compared to the pred. i didn't ride it today, mainly b/c 2 friends wrecked two other friends bikes in the last week, so i stuck to mine. the 450 revs so muck quicker than the pred, i had a hard time keeping up with him. but on the street, where i got traction, i beat him by 3 or so lengths but the thing is really fast[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2003, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

How come I'm never around when a Predator beats a 450? I keep waiting & waiting. I raced some piped Predators at pismo this weekend, & i beat them by over 5 bike lengths every single time.

Old 09-22-2003, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

250r4life - I think alot of guys with predators are not re-gearing them for their riding conditions. It is just geared so high from the factory. If people would regear them and quit worring about losing top speed you would see some faster ones in the drags. I have just the HMF slip on, and changed to a 39 tooth rear (stock front), I have a buddy with a WB slip on and one with the big gun exhaust and he also has K&N and jet kit. I beat both of these predators by a couple of bike lengths in drags. I have yet to tell them I regeared I just let them wonder why. In the sand I think I would try like a 13 front and 38 rear for dragging. In time you will run into a predator that might give you a run but those 450's are fast.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

oh yeah mine ain't stock and i still have a hard time beating them, they just rev so fast, they go from 3000 to 10000 so fricken fast