Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Broken chain = Broken Case..scram500..Options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken chain = Broken Case..scram500..Options?

Well My brother was out riding and his chain snaped which cause a LARGE hole in the case. hes 15, works weekends and such to pay for his 03 Scrambler 500 so money is tight. What are his options on getting this fixed? Looks like the chain came around and tap danced on it cause its broke pretty good. The sprocket looks ok though. I highly doubt this would be covered under warrenty..which i think might be up anyways. So whats the best idea? Go to the dealer and get it fixed? how much are we looking at? Any other suggestions? thanks guys!

Old 09-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Range Rover

Try using JB WELD. I've repaired a hole in a 500cc 2-stroker Kaw 500 in 90 or 91 and it holds to this day.

The hole was about 10-12mm round from grenading a piston on the bike.

Make sure you let the stuff cure for at least 24 hours or more without messing with.

The best results would be if the machine was under warranty and they covered it , but I dont think they would cause they would call it abuse even though the chain should'nt have broke if the machine is basically new, but you could try, I sure would.

Seriously, I think JB WELD Rocks. It would be in the same aisle as Threadlok and all the other miracle stuff at your auto mart

GOOD LUCK I Hope it works for you. Let me know, I'll keep my threads crossed.....DUG

Old 09-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Well i talked to my cousin who had the same problem. He took it to the dealer and they welded it up. Good as new i guess. the hole my bro has is about an inch wide and two inchs tall! Is it just regular aluminum that makes up the case? I might be able to do it myself...not sure.

Also..how hard is it to take the case off? Would you have to remove the whole gearcase or can you simply take the cover off? Looks like the front shaft would have to come off first...Ken..im sure you know this...

Old 09-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

That might be a large hole for even cold weld to do the job, but you could always try. A new casing for the right side is $230 on partsland. If your option is to pull the tranny the process includes, pulling primary and driven cluthces (will need a clutch puller for the primary, $20 in Dennis Kirk or HPD or Hotseat), take off the back clutch cover. Undo rear shock and pull out swing arm bolts supporting tranny. Put the skids on blocks and completely remove swingarm and shock out of way. Make sure concentric shafts to 4x4 are loose, loosen top mount for tranny, and pull the tranny out the back of the quad. Takes about 2 hrs. to do.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Cool..thanks man! gives me an idea. Remember..i live up here in Canada..that price is a weee bit more! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i've been told by my uncle that they wanted 400 for a new right hand side case for my couisin scram. The welding job went cheaper.

I was thinking to maybe cut the hole cleaner, then take a peice of metal and try and patch it in. I've done it on fuel takes for boats before, but i think the case is Cast..bugger to weld..or at least it was last time i tried!

So would the whole gearcase have to come out to just replace the one side?

Old 09-22-2003, 10:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

What Pudl stated was right on. I've done my 2wd Sport a few times, thankful it was just for mods. You could always watch E-bay for a while, or try Dennis at Az Bad Boys (he's may have already left on his roadtrip though) I'm sure it's much more involved with the 4x4. I wish you lived in the states, cause I could ship the pullers, and a few alignment jigs to you. I've had things take forever in customs, even when you clearly explain what's in the box. If you get a maint. manual, it's not hard at all to follow. You can get the 1 3/4" socket at any Farm and Fleet type store for a few bucks. Make sure to use Red loctite on degreased threads (swingarm). I would still run it by the dealer, just in case the warranty is good, or they're feeling nice. Also, isn't Dalton Industries up by you. They are a great source for Polaris stuff....that's if my memory serves me right. Also, I thought the newer case halfs had a primitive style of "casesaver" on them. I know they were tapped for the mount holes, maybe you have to buy the part as an accessory. I'm sure someone knows.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah Dalten is up near us. Talked to a guy at some drags a little while back that was running a 400scram. He ran REAL good..he works there.

We'll try it by the dealer, see what they say. The casesaver on the bike is CHEAP..its plastic..im surprised they would put such a cheap part on it..theres no way it would stop a chain. And most 15 kids dont think that this could happen to them, so why would they upgrade the saver?

Anyways..thanks again Ken! You guys are all a great help!

Old 09-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, those "case savers" were a joke. They only covered a small space ahead of the countershaft sprocket. The chain could still easily slap the case on it's way to the sprocket!! That's one thing I was always cautious of with my scrammys, not overtightening the chain, and replacing it if it was close to shot. I did snap one chain, but I was goofin on a shot chain....thankfully it just shot straight throught and no cases were broken!

Old 09-22-2003, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah..the one "maybe" with the dealer thing is that the chain broke right at the master link. Seems like it might have gave out or somthing? Cause the he wasnt going very fast..just driving down a dirt road, wasnt jumping or anything..but having to prove it owuld be a whole other thing. Hell they may replace only the chian..doubtful..i have a bunch of master links, so thats not the concern..just the case right now.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Just a thought. If you have the newer trans with the tapped holes. When all the repairs are finished. Maybe fab up your own, close-tolerance case saver, using those mounting holes. One of the HPD, or Hot Seat chain tensioners might help in the future also. Good luck at the dealer, hope things work out.

Quick Reply: Broken chain = Broken Case..scram500..Options?