Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Questions about HSP,HPD, & RCR

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about HSP,HPD, & RCR

I would like to get the most bang for the buck out of the 400. The problem is I ride mostly trails and do a lot of hill climbing. Just last weekend I climbed about a 200 yard hill climb at about 60-70 degrees steep with the last 15 feet almost 90 degrees, or maybe worse(it actually kicked back at the top at was more than staight up and down). I would like to upgrade to something like the Exterminator Kit from HSP, or the Race kit from HPD, or what ever RCR has to offer. The only thing that I don't want to deal with is running straight race fuel all the time. I have a friend with a basically stock banshee that was climbing steeper stuff than I was because he could clutch it and stay in the power better than I could. I would bounce through the rough stuff and by the time I got to the top I didn't have the speed to do the long steep stuff. I am sure that a rear shock would help, but at the same time I am looking for more power. Does anybody run a HSP kit aon the trails and like it. I want to show my friend that I can do everything that he can do on his Banshee. He also has a 400 Scrambler and really liked it until he got his Banshee, now he says that he thinks that his Banshee will do more stock than mine will do with some mods. I'm not afraid to spend some cash to do it, but here are the guidelines: Must beat him in a drag race and still be ridable on the trails (because he still trail rides his). Must be able to keep up with him on the trails. And I don't want to run full on race gas to do it(he doesn't have to). As a side note I run 114 and 92 octane fuel premixed to 40:1 at this time. i mix the two fuels to make the throttle response a little better. I ride about 3 tanks of gas a week so I don't want to have to buy $60 worth of fuel a week. I also want to be able to beat him on pump gas (or at least a mixture that I am now) because that is what he runs. Does anybody know if you get the race port Ext. kit from HSP if you have to run race fuel. Also does the dyno of 63-68 horse only take in account the race port, and if so how much can I expect from a trail port. Thanks in advance for any help. I have about a $3000.00 budget to add to my bike if anybody has any suggetions.

Old 09-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Trail port wise, RCR has some great bang for the buck setups. The trail ports from HPD, Hot Seat, and Aaen will all run about the same. I never had more fun with my Sport/Scrambler as I did switching over to the HPD race port w/ the ATV8 pipe. If you use this for trail riding, make sure to double loop safetywire through the mounting springs. I can get you a pic of the procedure if you like. With that setup, you can very easily run 100/110 Low Lead Av gas. You'll have instant throttle response throughout the operating range of the motor. For additional snap, you can have the flywheel milled, that, matched up with the 39 PWK carb, and some V-force reeds lends to even crisper throttle response. The beauty of the motor is, you can run 15.5:1 compression, and it'll start on the first pull almost every time. Very reliable. Generally speaking, any of the trail port setups will leave you with a certain portion of your powerband that will be lacking. That is not the case with the HPD race port, it's there all the time.

Old 09-24-2003, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I you could get me the pictures of the safety wire I would appreciate it. I also forget i=one thing in my previoes post. I also do a lot of river riding in the summer, so I need something that I can adapt the stock airbox to and still ride in the river. I don't care about the loss of performance with the air box just water tightness and adaptability with the mods is very important. I want to go with a race kit, but wonder how it will work on the trails and hill climbing. i don't want it to come on so radical that I lose it at the top of one the 200 yard clims and watch my wheeler fall to the earth with parts flying off of it as it went.

Old 09-24-2003, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is ther anybody in the Kansas City area, or anyone that rides at the Badlands in Attica, IN that have any of these mods that I could get ahold of and maybe see first hand want these mods will do.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HPD trail mod even with a stock carb is very impressive. I run their trail pipe on my wife's scrambler. I trail ported, added the cool head set up for pump gas, and did a little customizing on the clutch setup to my liking. But I did keep the stock carb and airbox with a good filter and a good set of replacement reed petals on the stock cage. It will climb anything at the dunes, and we take it into the mountains and slow ride as well. It even runs 5.8's at the 300ft drags. The trail mod is very hard to beat for all around performance and power. Her bike will kill 400 ex's and will just about run with any stocker out there. Modquad uses the agressive clutching on his race mod and that helps a lot with rideability. I drag raced my race mod and was setup for all out acceleration. It was too much for trail riding. You cant step back to a trail mod porting after your jug is done. You would need a new cylinder. Just some more to think about. Bubba

Old 09-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

If you've got $3000 to spend, buy a Liberty 500 power valve twin sled motor and have it put in. 90+ horsepower box stock on regular gas and you can go back to oil injection for convenience. The only thing you'll have to mod is an airbox for your river running.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:41 PM
Range Rover

Dont put a sled engine itll spin way too much, you wont be able to climb the hills, keep the 4x4 it can be your best freind on a hill. For mods i wouldnt go with a race kit from either, but HPd does make the most HP. Im gonna get my 400 x RcR ported, hpd trail-pipe, wiseco piston, hpd atq silencer, clutch kit and some other junk. This combo will beat a stock banshee, atleast with dialing in. But if you do have 3k and want to climb hills, id diffently get some good treads and rims. But back to mods, you wont need a full race kit, its not all about HP, HP burns holes in the ground but torque gets you moving. Sure the exterminator kit makes 60hp and the hpd powermaxx 416 makes 85, you wont need these extremes to beat a banshee, and these are not trail riding kits, be warned. If i where you id shop around for things. but heres some mods for thought

RcR
flywheel lightening
high compresion head
porting

and rick will do it to your specs

HPd
race mod or trail mod pipe
clutch kit
K&N filtercharger and pre-filter
wiseco piston

this will definetly satisfy your need for speed and youll have money left over to buy some good tready tires.

and remember dont ditch the 4wd, ITS NOT WORTH IT! and ditch the FMF they loose power for the 400!!

Old 09-24-2003, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

eaither do what Bubba297 says( he has great feedback) or like myself. I went to an aaen big bore kit. it is smooth all through the power band. I do mean smooth. Itll beat all kinds of shee bikes. Its 63 houses going wild. my next step is their 470 kit. I hope its as good as the 440 kit. I trail ride and drag race. Im verry happy with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2003, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

Junkie,
I have all RCR stuff on my 98 Scrammie. I had rick do the trail port and supply the midrange pipe and silencer. I can't remember which spring I put in but it is pretty damn aggressive. Not annoyingly so, but you do have to rev the bike a bit to get the clutch to even engage.
I also had him bore my stock carb and am running a 260 main (Rick put that in before shipping it back). I replaced the stock piston with a .020 Wiesco with the protective coating (sorry, I forget what the coating is called). V-Force reed cage, RCR intake mod (basically enlarging the intake pipe and adding a third air inlet "tube" below it). I had RCR shave the head also, I think the compression is somewhere around 11.5 or 12:1. I run 93 octane gas and pre-mix with 32:1. I ride in water often and wanted to keep it as protected as possible so I had to keep the intake near stock so I could maintain a good seal. I bounce back and forth between running my K+N and the foam filter Rick sent me. I personally can't feel a difference, if there is one, it is most certainly minimal.

Now for the best part, it will outrun my 04 VForce (which BTW is running my old stock Scrammie spring in it's CVT). The race is pretty close through about 200 feet, then the scrammie starts walkin' away. I raced a stock Banshee this past weekend and in the 300' beat it by about 1.5 bikelengths. HOWEVER, as the race went on at around 500 feet when he hit 6th gear, he did pull the scrammie. This was on asphalt with two riders both at around 200lbs. Still, not bad for a 500lb 4x4! I have the bike set up to pull in the midrange since that is where I need the power in the woods and across the open fields. Rarely do we get in situations where you have the opportunity to run over 60 mph so I decided I wanted all my power between about 20 and 50, that's why I did all the midrange work. The bike is very well mannered, just don't pin the throttle from a dead stop, as she will stand up with no problem.

I'm running 23" Kenda BearClaws all around and rode in the creeks all weekend after Isabel, no water problems and no getting stuck. The only real problem i have is when I get the tires turning too fast underwater sometimes and it starts to dig and sink rather than go forward. I end up having to back WAY out of the throttle to get the tires to slow down and bite.

I'll say this, I'm not a shill for RCR, but everytime I called him to run a problem or question by him, he took the time to talk, or called me back when he could spend time talking and assisting. When i wasn't sure about the clutch spring and how aggessive it would be, he said "let's try this one and if you don't like it I'll swap it out with a less aggressive one at no charge".

The moral of my story? Only you can do your due diligence. Most of the aformentioned manufacturers have a decent reputation. Only you can decide who you want to spend your hard earned cash with. I spent mine with the company that made me feel the most comfortable about my purchase.

Best of luck,
chris

Old 09-24-2003, 11:07 PM
Range Rover

ATVjunkie,
I couldn't agree with 4wheels more when it comes to dealing with RCR. Every mod I have done has been through Rick and he has never not been there when I had a question or needed advice. And whats even better is if you want the HPD mods he sells all of them also, just give him a call.

Quick Reply: Questions about HSP,HPD, & RCR