Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Jet Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Question

The idle SPEED screw is what opens the throttle plate to adjust the idle rpm, it doesn't affect the fuel/air mixture. Your terminology is confusing, it's not an enrichener because it doesn't affect fuel flow directly..

Old 10-26-2003, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet Question

You both are right but talking about two different types of carbs Fishslab you are talking about a carb that has the throttle cable directly attached to the slide and Powerslider is talking about a vac diaphram accuated slide. I have the vac type.

Old 10-26-2003, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet Question

No matter, we will sort this out. ( I think you are right) This will help us talk aplles to apples. Predator carb diagram

Old 10-26-2003, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet Question

I think I just figure out your problem however. If you have the Vac slide carb you can not mod your air box. It requires vaccum in the airbox to pull up the slideand draw fuel and air out of the carb. Close up the air box, go back to stock settings and see what happens.
_____
also if you drilled the slide plug up those holes with toothpicks or something. Those kind of mods are for flat slide TMX type carbs. I don't think you can do them on a vac slide carb.

Old 10-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet Question

From the factory the slide has holes in it but they are slighly smaller than the 1/8 holes that I drilled. I just enlarged them slighlty. I can make it start fine with a clamp UNI filter and it runs perfect after it is warmed up it is just a matter of getting it started and warmed. As far as the air box goes I cannot close it back up I would have to buy a new one. It is the same carb that is on the DS650 and a larger version of the ones that are on the raptor. I have been able to jet a raptor without the air box lid so I figured this would not be a problem. I am boggled.

Old 10-26-2003, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet Question

If you can get it to run fine with the UNI then it is causing enough vaccuum to open your slide. Just run with the UNI. Problem solved.

Old 10-26-2003, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet Question

At least try to cover the airbox mods with some duct tape and plastic or cardboard. If it runs ok, then the air box mods ARE the problem.

Old 10-26-2003, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet Question

The slide does not move unless the motor is running and throttle is applied therefore it doesn't affect the cold starting problem we have here. You need to make sure the starter jet and it's passage in the carb body are clear and open. If you found dirt in the plunger area you may have a restricted or plugged passage in the carb body. If that is ok then simply increase the starter jet size as necessary until enough fuel flows through the starter jet circuit. You've increased the airflow with the open airbox so you need to increase the fuel flow also.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet Question

I totally appreciate it guys the only reason I am bothering with it instead of the UNI is that it has so much more power running the partial airbox (if you can call it that, it is more like an air fliter holder). I just got back from riding it. I am thrilled with the way it runs after it warms up I just beat my friends Raptor that has allways beat me, up until now. So, there is no going back I have to get this figured out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2003, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet Question

I posted a picture of the air box so you can see what I am talking about I think it is waiting for approval????

Quick Reply: Jet Question