Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question for Pudljumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 03:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Pudljumper

Have you notice the front of you YFZ being any more narrow than the Predator? Is it easier to run through the trees with?

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 10-26-2003, 08:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I was gabbing with him in the pits at 12 hours of America about that. As I recall the 450 is almost 1.5" narrower.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, the 1.5" is definately noticable in the tight, tight stuff!! Plus with the 5 degree caster on the front wheels (pred has 0), the yfz just darts through the woods and turns instantly...no pushing or oversteering. It really does handle quite nicely!!

Old 10-26-2003, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I was at a race today, and they allowed 48" for the quads to fit through in the tight sections. To say the least, the front wheels took a beating trying to carry any pace through there. I finally stopped after I bent the stop on the steering stem and could only turn left.

I am sorry to say that my Predator also may be on the way out. My problem now is what to buy. I would have to spend a fortune to make a Z400 run or handle like a Predator, the YFZ seems cool, but a first year Yamaha scares me. We will see if Honda comes out with an eletric starter kit for the 450, that kick start will cost some positions getting into the woods.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Old 10-26-2003, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Well, here is my complete comparison. During the entire hare scramble season, the best finish I could pull on my predator was 3rd. I consistently pulled 1 or 2 slot in the holeshot, but because of the squirly characteristics and constant sliding of the rear-end of the pred, I could never hold that position all the way through. So, 2 weeks before the last race of the season I bought the YFZ. I rode it on gravel roads for 1 hour at variable speeds and to properly break in the engine. The next weekend I went to a track to get the suspension tuned in. The night before the race my nerfs and kill tether came in. I went to the race with a bone stock yfz (stock tires, skids, and rims also, and airbox lid on) with roughly 5 hours of seat time on this quad. Not used to the starting characteristics, I was the last quad off the line as I flooded the carb a little. I fought my way through 16 machines to 3rd, then 2nd, then 1st, but I had set the suspension too soft, so in the last lap I acquired horrific arm pump that slowed me down to 2nd for the finish. But in our B class myself and the winner of B class were moving so fast we caught all but the top 3 A class riders. If that isn’t a testament to how much better the handling is on that quad, I don’t know what is. Some better tires, a pipe for a little more horse, tweaking to the suspension, and maybe some better fitting handlebars, and I think I will make my mark in A class next year!! So to answer your question, yes, it feels awesome in the woods. I can hold the throttle and weave like you’re threading a needle compared to the pred where you bounce your way through the timber!

Old 10-27-2003, 10:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I think Pudl will agree with me on this one....one of the best handling mods for the Pred for harescrambles is to get the Maxxis Razr 2's up front. A world of difference in directional control. Rath's ZPS setup for the shocks seem to be the suspension ticket (by the way, those same shocks worked on a Kawi 400 for the 12 Hours of America race).

Old 10-27-2003, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

It doesn't have to be razr 2's, just razrs. Those maxxis PR's suck!! They push waaaay to much in the corners!!

Old 10-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

Pudl,
Good race mate, I'm sure there will be more to come.

Good kuck, Geoff.

Old 10-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer

I already have switched to the regular razr's up front and rear. I agree they made a huge difference.

Thanks,
Ryan