Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutching and belt on 04 sportsman, help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutching and belt on 04 sportsman

I REALLY liked that new belt feel on my 04 400 sportsman. WHne it was brand new, next to no hours or miles, the belt hasnt broke in yet.. Just barely touch the throttle and your off. .. NOW everythings breaking in, and of course the belts seating into the clutches and the engagement has rose just a bit.. All normal I know, BUT I want an earlier engagement. What Spring do I need, or Is one available for this quad to lighten the engagement up a little. I do nothing but slow technical riding, so its not like I need the performance advantage of a higher engagement.
Any Help Appreciated.
eDITED TO SAY.. iM NOT SURE what SPRING IS ON THIS THING, AS I had the cover off 2 days ago and like an idot never even looked? Does it have the blue/green spring, if so, then a white spring would lower the engagement I think? and If its the white spring, then Im just poop out of luck, or do i have this allll backwards?
Ron
04 Sportsman 400

Old 10-27-2003, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutching and belt on 04 sportsman, help?

Yep it has the blue green spring. I think all Polaris Utes do. I would consider changing the secondary spring, Dalton inds. has a nice kit for what your looking for. The secondary change will give you better belt grip and quicker back shift. You will sacrifice 1-3 mph on the top end, but by what is stated in your post not much of a concern for you. You can get the kits or springs through RCR.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

Can you please tell me the web site? And How do I change the secondary spring? You know I had a 300 for 4 years and Only changed one belt so im not that experienced at doing anything with this clutch sytem other than changing the belt..
I appreciate the help!

Ron
04 Sportsman 400

Old 10-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Either Rick Ritter racing (RcR) or Dalton Industries. Changing the secondary on the EPS equiped machines is really easy. Take the belt off remove the secondary, remove the snap ring pull apart take out the old and put in the new reassemble. No need to turn 1/3 counter clockwise on the EBS clutch. When you contact them, they will give you a step by step instructions.

Old 10-27-2003, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Heavier wieghts (maybe .5g) along with a lighter ( I thinks it's lighter, it's monday morning) spring in the secondary should get you a better hook up at engagement.

Old 10-28-2003, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

Rittercycle.com I have bought a lot from Rick. Very nice person. Great prices on Dalton kits.

Old 10-28-2003, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

I called Ritter.. the gentleman on the phone, basically said he couldnt help me, they never go that way, they always go with a higher engagement point.. so no help there. I'd love to get a heelclicker kit, after reading their site sounds like exactly what I need to do, just was hoping I could change a spring and be done with it.

Ron
04 Sportsman 400

Old 10-28-2003, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider

Rick is a nice guy helped me a lot to, however he just sells the kits. I would call Dalton Inds directly (902-897-3333). They can help you. Unlike the kits from HPD and HotSeat etc.. They really don't raise the engagement that much. The kit I have on my 700 engages @ 1900 rpm, which is up 300 rpm. I have the 700BW kit, which is basically designed to run oversize tires and still have better than stock acceleration and more belt grip. Since I run stock tires this kit really gives you a jump out of the hole without the engagement being that high. I can't see you just putting in a lower engagement primary spring; this will make your machine a slug out of the hole. It's better to upgrade the secondary for better back shift. I would suggest getting the entire kit (weights, primary and secondary springs). They are designed to work together and keep the clutch balanced. I'm not much of a belt tuner to advise you on mix and match parts. Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

A heelclicker will give you a lower engagment and a better grip on the belt. You may have to do some playing around with diffrent primary spring/weight combinations to get the right performance at the top end and midrange.

Old 10-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

I talked to Dan at heel clicker just a bit ago, seems he has a 400 Sportsman too, so everything is already tested out on his machine. I think, in talking to him anyway, that if I were to just put in the weights and leave the primary stock, that it would fit my needs.. Not sure, but 200.00 is alot for me to spend right now. I shall see!

Ron
04 Sportsman 400

Quick Reply: Clutching and belt on 04 sportsman, help?