Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear Brake problems…

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 06:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake problems…

I think the back brakes on one of my Scramblers needs to be bleed. When you apply the front brakes which is both front and rear it works, but when you push on the auxiliary brake or foot brake it does not work. Any ideas?

Old 10-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

my trailblazer did the same thing when it was new i just bled the brakes and now it works great...

Old 10-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Range Rover

How do you bleed the brakes? Is it hard?

Old 10-30-2003, 10:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Man bleeding brakes is easy just like on a car, there is 2 bleeders on the real caliper have someone put pressure on the foot brake then open up the bleeder the person must hold it down till you close the bleeder back up , do this till you get a nice feel in the foot brake, also dont forget to top off the rear brake resevoir..
ypu might wont to do this to all the brakes..

Hope this helps....

Old 10-30-2003, 10:26 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

just took my 03 trail blazer to the shop today. tried to bleed it, but pedal still bottoms out. didn't do any more than that, figured it's under warrantyl, might as well use it. if it's anything major, i'll post back the results.

Old 10-31-2003, 02:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

My 2003 scrambler is doing the same thing. We bled the brakes, and still there are no brakes. Let me know what you find out. Thanks

Old 10-31-2003, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

If the pedal is bottoming out still you bled them wrong. Tip 1. get a cheapo brake bleed kit from Harbor Freight or an auto parts store. Prbably $4 or close to it. This will allow you to bleed them by yourself.
Here is how you do it with two people. (this is for foot pedal) Make sure reservior is full.

1. Open right lower bleed screw (1/4" wrench) slightly. (as you look at the rear of the quad)

2. Have second person press and hold pedal down.

3. Tighten bleed screw.

4. Have person release pedal.

5. Check reservior.

6. Repeat two or three times until pedal is firm.

Old 10-31-2003, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer

Well I don’t know about the Predator but I do know about the Scramy. First: Make sure you don’t need new rear brake pads. If those pads are shot, then you may never get pressure on the brakes. Do all the steps mentioned above but if it still doesn’t work, repeat the above steps but when you are pumping your brakes, don’t be afraid to pump for a while to get ALL of the air out of your lines. While you’re at it, make sure you pumped all of the mastercylendars fluid through adding more as needed. This will give you some clean fluid and better braking response. Should only take 10 min. with two people.

Old 10-31-2003, 10:52 AM
Range Rover

So you only have to unscrew the lower right screw (one screw)? Does brake fluid get all over? Do I need to replace it with any special kind of brake fluid? So if I have someone help me bleed the brakes I don’t need that kit?

Old 10-31-2003, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

You only need to use that one bleed screw for the foot pedal. The other is for the hand lever. Brake fluid will get all over. You can put a drip pan or rags underneath. You can also put a piece of clear tubing over the nipple and run it to a drip pan.( I say clear because I prefer to watch the air bubble bleed off). With two people you do not need the bleeder kit. Use DOT 3 brake fluid. I'm sure Polaris recommends Polaris brand, but any DOT 3 will work.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake problems…