Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need help on 86 250

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on 86 250

My grandfather recently passed away and in his garage was this quad. I had been wanting one, so I'm trying to see if I can get this one going, but I need some info.

I know that it is an 86 with a 250cc and an automatic tranny. There is a blown head gasket on it which I can pick up locally for about $16. This isn't my problem though.

The clutch/rear brake kills the engine whenever it is engaged. I'm not quite sure what to do about this.

The other problem I've run in to is that one of the bolts holding the tank on is stripped or something because I cannot get it to come out so that I can remove the tank. I'm kind of lost as to what I need to do on this as well.

I'm planning on going to the dealer in the morning and getting him to run some numbers and see exactly what the thing was. Any info or help would be great, but I realize I haven't exactly given you much to go on. I'm going to take apart the tranny tomorrow and see if all the gearing is in good shape or if I need to just get rid of this thing before it costs me more than it's worth.

Old 10-30-2003, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on 86 250

While your at your dealer pick up the Clymer manual for early model Polaris. It will be extremely helpfull. It is posible it is a Cyclone, but most likely a Trailboss. The brake is stalling your motor becuase the rear disk brake is a transmission brake and your clutches are stuck to your belt. The fron t clucth should realease the belt, and it's not, so now you are actually braking the engine and transmision.(not breaking)
The clutches probably need a good cleaning. Get the manual, you can even find em' on E-bay pretty cheap. Good Luck!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]