Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Twin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Air Filter

Hey im putting a twin air filter on my little mans 50. It didnt come with any oil or say specifically but are you supposed to put an oil like the K&N?

Old 11-19-2003, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Air Filter

K&N filters are amade from medical gauze, and use their own type of oil. A twin air filter is foam, and is meant to be used with foam filter oil. There are many different filter oils to choose from. PJ1, and BelRay foam filter oil are just a few to choose from.

When it's cleaning time, put a couple of cups of 100% mineral spirits in a clean bucket, and rinse the filter around, change spirits, and do it again. You may need to do this a couple of times. Put the filter in the sun, or in front of a fan till dry, put it in a large ziplock baggy, spray liberally with oil, mush around inside the bag, until it is covered, not soaked, with oil, let it dry again, install, and ride.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Air Filter

So I need to put this oil on it before I install it? Thanks also for the info.

Old 11-19-2003, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Air Filter

heres what we do with my twin air filter...

We go outside and get a metal tray and some gasoline. put on some rubber gloves and pore some gas on the filter and let the rest fall into the tray. Put the air filter into the tray and kind of swiah it around and get gas all over the filter. Then ring it out really good. Let it dry for a little bit. Then get some motor oil (thats what we use) and pore some over the filter and kind of squeeze the filter with the oil and just get it all over the filter (no too much though) then ring it out a little bit so its sticky. Thats all we do. hope this helps.

Old 11-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Air Filter

Most filters come pre oiled. Might want to rub your hand on it, and see if you can tell if it is or not. If in doubt, I would oil it before installing it.

Old 11-21-2003, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Air Filter

Twin Air makes a filter oil and cleaner for the filter. I personally use Kawasaki's foam filter oil in mine as it is the stickiest filter oil I have found. You can also use Belray or PJ1 or Klotz as all three are good filter oils. Gasoline on a foam filter is not recommended as it eats away the filter material and makes the material unstable. To clean a filter soap and water or filter cleaner is all that is recommended.

Old 11-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Air Filter

Quadfather,
That's a hell of a good idea using the zip lock bag. Thanks! I always waste to much oil trying to oil the filter but using your idea I can just pull the filter out of the bag, zip it up and save it for next time. You the man![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Range Rover
Default Twin Air Filter

We go outside and get a metal tray and some gasoline. put on some rubber gloves and pore some gas on the filter and let the rest fall into the tray. Put the air filter into the tray and kind of swiah it around and get gas all over the filter. Then ring it out really good. Let it dry for a little bit. Then get some motor oil (thats what we use) and pore some over the filter and kind of squeeze the filter with the oil and just get it all over the filter (no too much though) then ring it out a little bit so its sticky. Thats all we do. hope this helps.
Don't wring your filter!!!! It tears the glue and filter in some cases. Always sqeeze but don't wring.
What I do:
1) take some solvent (varsol works good) and pour it into a bucket and soak the filter for about a minute just to get the oil off
2) hose it down and rinse it off
3) clean it with No Toil air filter CLEANER, to get any remaining dirt out
4) after another rinse put it in the dryer for about 10-15 minutes or leave it in the sun to dry

Old 11-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Twin Air Filter

I was going to put a K&N filter in my Polaris 600 Sportsman. Does it make muck difference performance wise?? I have one in my truck and it made a difference. Also, will the K&N filter void warranty??