Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Minor and Simple Questions !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor and Simple Questions !!!

'04 Scram 4x4 - Should the brake light work when the foot brake is applied? (The hand brake lights up not the foot brake) Why does it backfire when using reverse? If im going 30mph in AWD can i just automatically switch to 2wd and vise versa? Is this gas tank bigger then a 01 Raptors? Does this machine eat gas quicker in AWD, and from your experience how many hrs/miles w/ a full tank?

Thanks for the lesser important info.
Late !

Old 12-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer

as for the light...it's normal... the foot brake is an emergency brake only... if you use it regularly it will stop working pretty soon.

when you go reverse, you gotta push and hold the yellow button on your left handle... security switch... also if you don't push it... it won't be on 4X4

yes you can put it on AWD at any speed.... if you ga too fast it will simply not engage untill you slow down... if the little light saying AWD is on..your on 4X4... make sur the back wheels are not spinning thought

i don't think it will be more hard on gaz on 4X4 since it only engage if the rear wheels want to spin

at full throtte on gravel road we are talking about approximatly 115 km or 72 miles with a thank. way better at lower speed.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thats correct. The foot brake is your auxilery brake. It is designed to be used as an emergincy brake. I have heard that it is designed to lock up either. The reverse override button is there so that you dont go flying in reverse. Cuz you can go just as fast in reverse as you can forward. You need to push that button in to override that, and to engage the 4wd in reverse. I actually overrode my override so that I dont have to push the button in every time and I can have 4wd in reverse without pushing the button. I think scram5002001 is right about that. The 4wd wont engage if you are over a certain speed. It is very important that you ar not spinning your tires when you engage the 4wd, otherwise KABOOM!!!!!! The scram has a 3.5 gallon tank while the Rappy has a 3.2 gallon tank. I can usually go between 60-80 miles on a tank, depending on how I am riding[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

the back fireing in reverse is normal that is what limits your reverse speed if the overide is not pushed...

Old 12-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, I guess I was a little thrown off by the label on the ATV. I read it as if the rear wheels are spinning as in just plain moving forward or reverse not spinning the tires so to speak. (I just bought the 4 wheeler 2 weeks ago) I have been stopping completely to engage it to AWD. Thanks for clearing that up. How about shifting, can you shift from low to high while moving?

Old 12-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

no!!!! you can't shift from low to high gear while moving.

i you try it id will do a sound like ......... kkkkkkkkkrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk!!!!

Old 12-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

I also was stopping while switching TO and FROM awd. Guess i'll have even MORE fun now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanxs

Old 12-09-2003, 07:50 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i you try it id will do a sound like ......... kkkkkkkkkrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk!!!! I couldnt have said it better.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-09-2003, 09:40 AM
Range Rover

yeah, switch gears while riding, and you will get to know the inner workings of your transmission. i did it last year(stuck and was trying to rock the bike, didnt let the engine de-rev enough before slapping it into reverse)and lost reverse. thankfully after i tore it apart it only jumped the snap ring off the shaft which allowed the reverse cog to move up and not mesh with the others, only thing it cost me was some rtv and thread locker, what a relief.

james

Old 12-09-2003, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

My scrambler seems to be really bad on gas...I dont whether it is or not or whether thats just how the gauge is set up and makes it appear that way. Also how easily do the front wheels/A-arms bend on these things? I was going through a tight trail and hit a tree going maybe 10 or more mph...do u think this could have caused any damage?

Quick Reply: Minor and Simple Questions !!!