Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I realize I ask the stupidest questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I realize I ask the stupidest questions

Again I'm askin a stupid question, forgive me lol. Anyway today I went out to grease my scrambler and I looked in the owner's manual and found were the majority of them were at. Wasn't havin any problems until I got to the U joints...and I looked all over them things and there wasn't a grease fitting to be found, yet the booklet assured me there was one. Finally I realized it wasn't a normal grease fitting and was an indention rather than sticking out....I guess I need a new head for my grease gun to grease that part??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]. Also I'm kinda mad I've has 4, yes 4, flat tires on this thing and I havent owned it a month! Now I realize stock tires are not the best but I thought these were diff., they're 489 ATs...but obviously not. THEN I go out to discover that it's sputtering real bad and could be a number of things. I'm tempted to go out and get some RAZR 2's but I don't have the money [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]. I've been riding in a lot of mud and water lately....what are some easy things I can do to keep it up in good shape. Normally I'd be mad about somethin like this but I'm listenin to the rodney carrington cd I got for Christmas and its been a good day lol. Can anybody help me out a bit, I'd appreciate. Thanks again and hope ya'll had a good Christmas.

Old 12-25-2003, 11:35 PM
RIP Dear Friend

What I think you might need and they are used on alot on old car u joints is called a grease needle and it does fit on the end of your grease gun. If you lived close, you could borrow mine because it doesn't get used very often. No more old cars fron the sixties.

Old 12-25-2003, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris did away with some grease fittings but the manual hasn't been "cleaned up". I asked about the same thing a while back...some just aren't there.

As for the tire deal, you might want to check around the bead to make sure you don't have a rock or dent in the rim that is letting the air escape. I got my Douglas .190's with ITP MudLites from RockymountainATV.com for <$400 shipped

Old 12-26-2003, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

Turns out the tires didn't have any punctures in them. I had them at the PSI the manual said...not too tight, but what happed was they were loose enough to let dirt and mud settle inbetween the tire and rim, which caused the leak. They just said to pump them up about 2 or 3 more PSI than what the manual said....not a big deal, only cost like 10 bucks.

Old 12-26-2003, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My scrambler was sputtering the other day also. I found my air box had oil in it and oil soaked my filter. I did a search on this site and found it to be a common problem. Got a new filter and spark plug( it was fouled from running rich from air restricted) it runs great now. I also had two flat tires. I put in a half a bottle of SLIME in each tire two months ago. They have not been flat since.

Old 12-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, Polaris did away with most of the grease fittings. I have an 03 Scrambler, the only grease fittings for the u joints is the one that powers the front diff. If you look behind the plastic chain quard (the one that says concentric drive on it) you will see a u joint. That joint is the only one that has a grease zerk. At lease it did on the 03, you may have to move your quad and take the chain quard off to see it, but it should be there. YOu may need to wipe it off as it may have dirt sticking to it making it hard to see. The only other zerks on the bike are the rear carrier and where the swing arm bolts to the frame on bolth sides. Everything else has been done away with.

Thanks

Old 12-27-2003, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

Alright thanks guys, that helps. I fixed the sputterin deal myself [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Please don't tell me the grease fittings have seals in them....

Old 12-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Just double check on whether or not you should have the grease fittings. One on mine had not been pressed in and was missing. I guess the grease zerk press guy on the assembly line might have had a hang over that day. lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 12-27-2003, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

who's Rodney Carrington?

Old 12-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

hey Dazeys i think you should check out a sprotsman cuz they have the IRS and i see that you have wheels off the ground alot, my friend matt has a vinson and dont get me wront great machin and i have a suzuki myslef.

Quick Reply: I realize I ask the stupidest questions