Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PREDATOR,NOT FOR THE COLD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PREDATOR,NOT FOR THE COLD!

THIS weekend was bad for the pred. It didn't want to start well it was 2 degrees out but,i have riden may quads before in the cold. So after killing the battery we pull started it . after getting it pull started it seemed ok ontil I rode it !! after about 5 minutes the throttle got stuck wide open.Well at frist I thought that it was because I took the stock throttle off and put the HPD throttle on.The HPD throttle Didn't come with a cable because it hasn't been made yet for the Pred. SO i had to mod the stock cable. Also,with the HPD throttle I have NO ECT NOW. this meens that everytime the throttle gets stuck open the quad WILL not shut off IT will scream! WHAT A SCRARE!!BUT, anyway I found nothing wrong wih the cable!!
THE problem seemed to be with the carb,also,with the quad off and the throttle freed it moved Smooth but, after I started the quad it seemed to get harder and harder untill it GOT stuck. this happend about 3 times before I gave up.
It seemed as if the Butterfly flap in the carb was holding it up.I know this because I had NO cable on and the flap was open ontill I pushed on it then it would free up and become normal ontill ridden then it would happen all over again.After going though all of this in the freezing cold I gave up and went home!!
After I got home I took the carb apart!!
IT WASN"T THE CABLE(it was well lubed)
It wasn't dirt.
The flap seemed Ok
I found nothing Wrong!!!!!!
Could it have been Freezing Gas!!!
Could it have been because the pilot Jet was to small(unlikely but, maybe?)
I just don't know!!! but, I did put Some gas anti-freeze in it and test rode it and it didn't get stuck.
What do You People think??
What pilot jet should I use (45 in it now)
Thanks
Matt

Old 01-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Range Rover

well it wasnt the gas, gasoline will freeze at approx. -30 degrees F. Something i learned at the pats game this wkend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i only had a problem with it starting... and then i just put heat on it for a few minutes and it started right up.. my battery is kinda shot tho.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

Your problem is carb icing, ice is forming on and around the throttle plate. No simple fix, you need to warm the air going to the carb or warm the carb itself so ice can't form. Let the motor warm up really well before you start riding, this may help....

Old 01-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info guys.I thought that maybe it was the throttle plate freezing.That could be the problem and that does seem to be the most likely. BUT,How would ice form on the plate if I have a very well oiled filter and wouldn't it have warmed up after 10 minutes .then ran at mid throttle in 3rd for 10 more minutes then slowed down to 2 gear putting .After that it started getting harder to push the throttle then it started geting stuck open.
After riding for as long as I did it's hard to believe that it wouldn't be warmed up.Although I Believe It must be------Maybe the water i went through got up in the air box or the ice i was roosting on. then maybe after ripping on the throttle the rush of cold air into the motor caused the water to freeze in the carb(WHO KNOWS?)

anyway, we will see! As of right now all test rides seem to be o.k. But, that is just quick rides around the block and testing out side in the cold on the driveway.

AND I THOUGHT THAT GETTING A PRED WOULD STOP ALL MY MYSTERIES