Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil Change Drain Spots ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Drain Spots ?

Just wanted to know how many and exactly where the places to drain the oil for my 04 Scram. I have heard 3 places, but can only find one, (where the main oil is) Do i have to take off the bottom skid plate to access the other ones. Please help as i am attempting to my first oil change myself. Now when explaining these places on the machine, try to direct me by easy locations on the scram. As i am unfamiliar w/ all the Correct names and places

Thanks for ya help guys, I appreciate it.
OH one more thing, I have the 0w /40 oil from polaris, now is there any other cheaper oil i can buy that is the same type or will work just as good. Thanks.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You can run Amsoil 0W-40 Synthetic 4 stroke oil (approx. $6.50 qt) or Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-40 "European Car Formula" (approx $4.25 qt) if you dont want to run the Polaris stuff. You can get a Napa Gold oil filter #1358 (approx $8.50) too. You need to drain the oil tank and the crankcase. The drain plug for the crankcase is under the machine. The skid plate need to come off for that (at least it makes it easier) There are 3 drain plugs under there, the oil, trans, and the starter. The oil drain plug if toward the front of the machine. It is real easy to ge to. The trans drain plug is toward the back. I believe that it is horizontal. You cant mix the 2 up. The starter drain plug is located in the middle to the right under the recoil housing. I hope this makes sense?

Old 01-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Range Rover

Hey man, i appreciate the help, and Nice pics of them bikes. So i got the 3 spots to drain, (oil,trans,starter) now i take it its pretty much like doing an oil change to a car? if theres anything special i need to know let me know. Oh also, from your experience is there a certain way to tilt the machine so that everything comes out, or it doesnt need to be tilted. Little tips like that is what im looking for, the most direct and correct way in doing things. Thanks again man.

Old 01-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

You only drain two spots for the oil. The other ones BBS mentioned are for when you service the starter and the tranny. For the oil you drain the oil tank and the crankcase. You need to purge the air from the oil pump when you finish refilling. I don't have my book with me, but maybe BBS can Give you some intructions on this step.

Old 01-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Range Rover

Purge the air after refilling. hahahah i'll say again, this is my first oil change for a quad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] so its just the oil plug, and the trans plug that i have to drain and the trans plug is towards the back under the skid.

Old 01-20-2004, 12:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

It is recommended to change the trans oil at the same service interval as the engine oil. The trans plug is towards the back. I may have been mistaken on the crankcase plug though, it may actually be horizontal. I cant remember. But you dont need to drain the trans for the oil change, but they should both be changed at the same time. But the crankcase plug is towards the front. Trust me, you will know when you find it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just set the quad on a level serface, let the motor warm up for 2 or 3 minutes and drain the oil. There is a line on mine that runs to the back of the oil tank. There is a screen at that fitting. I have not removed mine to clean it yet cuz it is a PINA. But, it may be easier on the newer ones. If you can, remove it and clean the screen. After you drain the oil tank and crankcase, and install a new filter (lube the o-ring with new oil) fill it with 2 quarts of oil. Start it up and let it run for a few minutes. That is all I do. My manual doesnt mention anything about purging the oil pump?

Old 01-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Range Rover

First off, i want to say, its pretty funny how i just got home, and you just replied big, thankyou.
So this is what im gonna do in the morning

1. start it up approx. 2 min.
2. drain the oil plug which is the main one in the front, drain the trans plug near the back , and the crankcase plug towards the front , which i wont mistake for anything else [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .
3. fill it up then , start it up.

That is what i got from all this (best reccommended)

AGAIN THANKYOU SO MUCH. i would so much rather listen to you then these dealers/salespeople

Old 01-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider

No problem rookie, but the trans doesnt have to be drained during an oil change. I change mine every time I do an oil change (except during winter storage). The trans tkaes approx. 27oz of Polaris trans fluid OR Amsoil Series 2000 chancase lube

Old 01-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Range Rover

well my problems solved then man, thanks alot, im not gonna do the trans oil this time. Gonna just drain the oil plug and the crankcase for now. Again thanks man, now i can sleep better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'll let ya know how i made out tomorrow. Late

Old 01-20-2004, 01:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey anytime man[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Oil Change Drain Spots ?