Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

watter in the belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default watter in the belt

I got a 400 sportsman 2002
Can you plug the vent for the drive-belt for just a while lets say if you go though alot of watter. I drowned it ones, well my dad acualy when i was with him, but what can you do about that, to keep the watter out, and if you get watter in they hey say to put it in low and just keep givein her shots of gas, until you get going, thats what we did but is that a good idea.
that was a few days after we got it, there was a wire tie missing and a bolt losseon the cover to. that was after the dealer insatalled the EBS system which they say is stalk but don't put in unless you ask.
Any help or coments would be great thanks guys

Old 02-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

yeah u can plug it with somthin but make sure u take it out right after you go through the mud hole b/c will get hot really fast and just melt

Old 02-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

k thanks for the help
I was also wondering about bringing the PVT vent up higher lets say under the gastank ware the air intake runs. is there like a mod for somethink like this

Old 02-24-2004, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

It is not a good idea to plug the exhaust because pushing air through the PVT is what keeps it cool. The best way to keep water from entering the PVT is for one keep the rpm as high as possible but care should be taken not to create a large bow wave that causes water to be forced into the PVT exhaust. Finding the happy medium takes a little practice. If you do get it wet you should put it in neutral and increase the rpm to about 3000 and watch the PVT exhaust. Water will be expelled for a few minutes and when it stops off you go. It is not a good idea to put it in low as that could cause damage to the belt and or chivs.

Old 02-24-2004, 02:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If you are having trouble with injesting water into the clutch housing throught the intake and/or exhaust, it may be a good idea to just snorkel them

Old 02-24-2004, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider

If you get water in your belt houseing you can( or at least on my sp 600) take the little red screw/plug out of the bottom of the cover and let the water drain, then in nuetral, hit your throttle a few times to spin the water off.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bigbamaboy
If you get water in your belt houseing you can( or at least on my sp 600) take the little red screw/plug out of the bottom of the cover and let the water drain, then in nuetral, hit your throttle a few times to spin the water off.
Well you are one of the lucky ones that has a drain plug though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Us '02 and prier guys dont have the drain plug, kinda sucks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

I just installed a drain plug in my cover and its easy. I used a metal valve stem and all I have to do now is spin off the valve cap and let it drain!

Old 02-26-2004, 03:29 PM
eja
Range Rover

belts are not the way to go on machines designed for off road use. Try to avoid them. There are alot of choices out there. water+belts=slippage

Old 02-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

ohhhh so that's why they put in snowmachines, eh eja, snow dosen't melt and become water. lol. the only time you get enough water in the belt is if you have it floting, in water higher than your chset.

well has anyone tryed to lower the the opening by extending the the opening after the curve so there is more of a air trap. cuz with the stock vent they dosen't seem to be much of one.

Quick Reply: watter in the belt