Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

can trail boss handle it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can trail boss handle it?

I think I decided on getting a trail boss so far. Im looking for a good riding (cheap)trail bike that can handle occasional abuse, like jumps - basically getting ragged on. Not motoX jumps just cause Im not shy about pounding trail obstacles. It doesnt have to be super powerful, just be able to run down the trail and absorb some bumps without falling apart.

Are there any weak areas on the new trail boss 330? Besides being on the slow side?

Old 02-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

The Trail Boss is one of the most FUN basic quads out there. Ride and enjoy, or spend double for more trouble.....

Old 02-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

I used to have a 250 trail boss. it was a 93, 94, or something. I absolutly beat the heck out of that thing and it never had any problems what so ever.
I jumped it, wrecked it, drove through deep water, mud, snow, everything. I also did very little rutine maintenance on it. Actually, just about none. Not the fastest thing ever, but a tough little thing.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

My 11 yr old daughter rides a 03 Trail Boss and we've enjoyed it. Ride mostly in riverbeds. She rode through a crossing & water went almost to the handlebars & kept going. She likes splashing through the water and we never had any problems drowning out. Rode in New Mexico up mountain trails last summer up to about 9-10,000 ft and no carb problems unlike our Trailblazer. One thing you will love - I think the seat is mad by Laz-E-Boy. Rode a couple hours up rocky trails, I was on my Vforce and my fanny was getting sore. We traded on the way down and I rode the Boss and man did that saddle feel great! Plus, in a pinch, I've had both kids on with me and we all fit. The only thing we've added is a rear rack bag. It is a little cold natured to start but I think there are some posts on the forum recommending some carb changes. No regrets.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies! Im excited!

Found a better deal at a dealer closer to my house too! Will be picking them up this week...

Old 03-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

heep........ dude,

I got a new Trail Boss a couple of months ago and LOVE it. I was concerned about beating it up on some pretty rough, rocky terrain here in the Abilene, TX area. But no problem. I still baby it quite a bit but I get bolder each time I ride it. It can take a lot, and the auto tranny is too cool.
How much are you paying for yours, total? Got mine for $3590 in the San Antonio, TX area. Finally, just make sure your chain isn't too tight. Polaris (and/or the dealers) aren't too careful about "small" things like oil level or chain tension upon delivery! At least in my case.....

EW

Old 03-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Don't forget the mud! The Boss is one of the better 2x4's I've seen in mud. Gone through stuff I wouldn't try to take the Blazer through.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:14 PM
Range Rover

Hi, I had a 2000 trailboss for 2 years and no problems at all. Mine also was good in mud and the seat is great for riding double. Your making a good choice. lol

Old 03-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: heep79
I think I decided on getting a trail boss so far. Im looking for a good riding (cheap)trail bike that can handle occasional abuse, like jumps - basically getting ragged on. Not motoX jumps just cause Im not shy about pounding trail obstacles. It doesnt have to be super powerful, just be able to run down the trail and absorb some bumps without falling apart.

Are there any weak areas on the new trail boss 330? Besides being on the slow side?

Um. I used to jump the hell out of my '85 Trail Boss 250 - see my sig for some pics...

Old 03-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

My Girlfriend bought a 2004 Trailboss 330 not too long after I bought my 99 Xplorer.

It is a nice machine. It will go almost everywhere my Xplorer will go, except the deep mud and deep snow in which most 2WD ATV's won't go.
It is very easy to drive, and very comfortable.

If I had to say anything bad about it... is that is takes a long time to get the thing warmed up. It is VERY cold blooded... have to play with the choke a little until its completely warmed up and ready to go. But once it is, no problems [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Oh, if you DO plan on taking the trailboss into the mud, GET MUD FLAPS!, I bought a full set of OEM Gen IV mudflaps for hers (much cheaper than the OEM extended flaps that Polaris seems to say is the only one fits the TB) now since it would get completely covered in mud without them. Amazing how just a little extra extension on the fenders helps so much [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: can trail boss handle it?