Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Took the plunge

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004 | 12:20 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Took the plunge

This past weekend I jumped in and bought my Sportsman 500HO and a Trail Boss 330 for the wife. I am sore all over from riding all weekend.

I must admit though that I am not impressed with the little things I have wrong on the 500HO already. I got it home and ran it around the block a couple of time then it died. Wouldn't start at all... Took it back to the dealer and they found a kinked fuel line. All ready to go now. The next day I notice that the brake fluid container on the handlebar is leaking all over! They are ordering a new seal for it....what next?

The only prob with the Boss is a nail in the tire and it doesn't like starting in the cold.

They are a blast to ride!

Old 03-02-2004 | 10:44 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Default Took the plunge

Good (?) news about the Boss, they're all cold natured. Something you just get used to. First ride on my Boss I cut the tire. Slime wouldn't seal it, so I used a plug. Never leaked after that, no matter how hard it was ridden. If you have a good dealer, they should make everything right. It's really no worse than some new cars I've had, just can't drive a quad to the dealer. Also had the brake res on the Magnum leak just like yours, fixed by the dealer under warranty.

Old 03-02-2004 | 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Took the plunge

Man I hate to hear the bad luck..you figure you buy a new quad it should last for at least longer than a weekend...I'm sure the dealer is going to fix everything and it will all be good but who wants to keep wasting time taking there new quad back and forth to the dealer...Welp I hope you have better luck after that!!

Old 03-02-2004 | 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Took the plunge

remember your just getting the kinks out after that you should be good to go

Old 03-03-2004 | 02:05 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Took the plunge

I am sure that the dealer will fix everything. Well, today while out riding I was performing slow u-turn and gave it a little gas to slide the rear end around a little. Don't you know it...the tires grabbed and over it went. It was super slow motion and I almost saved it but to no avail. She rolled right over. No damage exept for a little scratch on the rack. No harm, no foul.

I learned much from this roll over. 1) Unless you are on really loose gravel/sand DON'T hit the gas in a tight u-turn. 2) It isn't easy to roll a 700 pound machine back over by my self. 3) After being rolled on to it's side you will have to change the oil and clean out the air box and put in a new air filter (luckily I am taking it in for the first service in the morning so they can do all this).

I guess this was my "freebie"/learning experience.

Old 03-03-2004 | 11:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default Took the plunge

Originally posted by: bigwannabe
I am sure that the dealer will fix everything. Well, today while out riding I was performing slow u-turn and gave it a little gas to slide the rear end around a little. Don't you know it...the tires grabbed and over it went. It was super slow motion and I almost saved it but to no avail. She rolled right over. No damage exept for a little scratch on the rack. No harm, no foul.

I learned much from this roll over. 1) Unless you are on really loose gravel/sand DON'T hit the gas in a tight u-turn. 2) It isn't easy to roll a 700 pound machine back over by my self. 3) After being rolled on to it's side you will have to change the oil and clean out the air box and put in a new air filter (luckily I am taking it in for the first service in the morning so they can do all this).

I guess this was my "freebie"/learning experience.
Rolling an ATV is a weird feeling remember the first time I did it. Friend rolled my Xplorer last summer first time the thing has ever been rolled. Lucky it didn't hurt it just like yours all it got was scratches. He learning something that day never let off the gas when you're swinging the tail around on a dirt road the back tires will grab and over go's the ATV.

Enjoy your new toys. And remember keep the rubber on the ground. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2004 | 02:15 PM
Range Rover
Default Took the plunge

[quote]
Originally posted by: BlackRaptor
Originally posted by: bigwannabe
Rolling an ATV is a weird feeling remember the first time I did it. Friend rolled my Xplorer last summer first time the thing has ever been rolled. Lucky it didn't hurt it just like yours all it got was scratches. He learning something that day never let off the gas when you're swinging the tail around on a dirt road the back tires will grab and over go's the ATV.
Highside! You can do that with a motorcycle too... even street bikes. My GSX-R has given me a couple little scares when painting a black line out of a corner and it gained a little traction; gave me a death wiggle. Gah.

Someone out there should put together a "FAQ" on how to ride quads for the newbies.

Old 03-03-2004 | 05:51 PM
Range Rover
Default Took the plunge

i agree with the others,unless your tires are nearly bald dont let off the gas while the tires are spinnig during a turn,i learned just like you,i was riding on hardpacked dirt and i hit the corner at about 3/4 throttle and it handled real well until i let off the gas and the next thing i knew the tires caught,threw me off and the scrammy rolled completely over and landed back on its tires,i didnt get hurt,just scratched up a little bit

Old 03-03-2004 | 09:02 PM
Range Rover
Default Took the plunge

Don't forget body english, When spinning or sliding the back end. Sounds simple put if your use to riding dirt bikes you may be unaware just how much you have to move your body on the 4 wheeler to keep it upright. My tidbit!! I learned the hard way also!!

Old 03-04-2004 | 12:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Took the plunge

Originally posted by: Shaman

when painting a black line out of a corner
LOL. I like that way of putting it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Took the plunge