Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Has anyone tried HPDs Roller Secondary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2000, 11:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about getting one of HPDs Roller secondarys with there trail clucth kit and pipe for my wifes Trailblazer.
I was just wondering if anyone had one ,and if they liked it?

See Ya Drew

See my quads, my wife, and my friends at
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/scrambler...l=fld3&.src=ph

Old 07-10-2000, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Drew,

I have one on the Sport and it is worth every cent. It basically makes your quad feel like a manual. Up shifting and back shifting are THAT quick. Give your wifes Trailblazer some throttle while moving, let off and give it the gas again. Notice the lag before the secondary clutch engages fully. There is no lag with the roller clutch, you hit the gas-you go! I can actually let off the throttle while wheeling and hit it again before the the front wheels start to drop (no the Sport wasn't on it's balance point, I still haven't gotten brave enough to find it). IMHO it's worth the money. You don't even have to have a fully modified machine to run it. It'll work almost as well on a stock machine (for best results use a clutch kit). Hope this helped!

Old 07-10-2000, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

Mike: I think the HPD kit works differently than our Aaen set up. The HPD roller is an "encapsulated roller", now what exactly that means I have'nt figured out completely.

Either way though I don't thnik anyone could go wrong with a roller set up, although I hear the "super sport" button kit getting a lot of praise form racers.

Old 07-10-2000, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Would one of them kits work with my hsp kit and could i put it on myself

Old 07-10-2000, 10:45 PM
Range Rover

Mike,
Thanks for the good info, I think I will order her one this week, I am also going to get her a split brake kit.
I noticed some olay in my left tie rod end today on my 500. Have you had problems with yours?
Is there a better solution than just R n R them?
Thanks Drew

Old 07-10-2000, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

What kind of cash are the roller kits going for? I could'nt find a listing for the kit on HPD's site. I am very interested in getting one for my 2000 Trailblazer.

Old 07-10-2000, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Expect to pay about $250-300 for Aaen's kit (depending on cam angle, spring selection and/or weights).

Honestly, I'm not sure if HPD's is available yet. Last I heard there was some legal issues to be sorted out between Darrell and Olav.

If you can change a secondary spring, you can install it roller. It's very simple, but doea require you to remove the OEM buttons, shave them dowm and re-install them to cam support.

Old 07-10-2000, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

HPD has a Shift Drum Conversion Kit (roller clutch) in their 2000 catalog. It goes for $189. I have the super sport aluminum clutch buttons in my Sport. Can't really tell a difference, I don't think you can, they are just stronger than the stock ones.

Old 07-11-2000, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

Drew,

First off I'm sorry about confusing Aaen's roller clutch with HPD's. I'm sure both will work about the same. This is what happens whey you work from 10 pm to 8 am and stay up on your day off. I must have been a little tired.

Now about the tie rod ends issue. I just replaced the tie rod ends on both my Trailblazer and Sport. I think that the ends wore pretty well (they lasted three years). I replaced them with the 2000 model ends and had no problems since. The problem I've found is that the bearings went out on both the left front wheels of my Sport and Trailblazer. The wheels started developing a little play top to bottom and replacement was in order. The bizarre thing is that it was only the left front wheels on both quads, the right fronts were fine. Well it was simple enough to replace them.

Old 07-11-2000, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

HPD has a few things in their '00 catalog that aren't available yet, so check first.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried HPDs Roller Secondary?