Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

BIG hub problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG hub problem

Well fellas. I was changing my hub fluid today. The right hub went fine. The oil looked a little dirty but not bad. I had noticed that my left hub was not working in 4wd before. Well, I went to drain the fluid and it was a gray sludge with metallic shavings[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] OHH CRAP!!!. So, I took the hub apart. I suspected the bearings were at fault, but they were just fine. The problem is the hillard clutch. I found that the armature plate had some metal shaved off of it. It also somehow wore a groove all the way around the hillard clutch from the tabs. Both are now junk. I am not sure HOW this happened, but it really sucks. Especially since the hillard clutch costs $170. I am now looking for a USED hillard clutch and armature plate. I guys I will have to check EBAY, unless anyone has one laying around that they would be willing to part with

Old 03-28-2004, 04:52 PM
CED
Pro Rider
Default BIG hub problem

I have my hubs that i took off of my bike.It is a 96 though.Find out if they will work,or if the clutch is the same .Send me a pm if they will work.

Old 03-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default BIG hub problem

The hub from a Scrambler is the same as all the Sportsman too, it's looks like a quite generic part for Polaris. There are a number of used parts guys out your way if you need some. We just picked up a broken floor board, try this guy to see if has any frontend parts. prorider310r@yahoo.com

Good Luck.

Any idea what happened? Broken tab or just wear?

Old 03-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BIG hub problem

there is many parts that are interchagable on the Scramblers, i'm pretty sure that the hubs are all the same.

Old 03-29-2004, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default BIG hub problem

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] That sucks. Let us know if you find a good source for the used parts.

Old 03-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default BIG hub problem

I took some pictures of the carnage. I will try and post them tomorrow. I am still not sure HOW this happened

Old 03-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default BIG hub problem

Here are the pics as promised. I still dont know how it happended. Anyone have any ideas?
armature plate 1
armature plate 2
armature plate 3
clutch cage 1
clutch cage 2
clutch cage 3

Old 03-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default BIG hub problem

Based on the pictures it appears that the plate is cuped and it should be flat . For that to happen something must have gotten between the plate and the face of the seal or bearing race or there was an unknown assembly problem that finally showed its ugly face. In either case, this is not to bad to correct. That's a few thoughts.

When you look at the struct housing see if the faces of the inner bearing race and the outer seal race are in line. The magnet that actually puls the armature plate up tight to energise the hilliard clutch is mounted between there two sleeves. Possible one has worked it's way out causing the armature plate to become warped. Unlikely but they should be inline within .001 of an inch.

Secondly, it's possible the assembly was not put togther correctly where the fingers were not engaged within the drive notches before it was tighted in place. That 128 inch pounds of torque on the hub nut put about 1200 pounds of force along the axle axis. This most certainly cause this problem and potentially cause the outer seal race on the strut housing to become misaligned and pushed inward too far.

Take a picture of the struct housing where the hub mounts, that will tell the rest of the story. If that outer seal race has moved I'll send along a few trick to align it without doing any damage.

This is a good one,

Gene

Old 03-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default BIG hub problem

Thnaks. I will try and get to that in the next few days

Old 03-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default BIG hub problem

That sucks..