Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

comet clutch,what is your result so far..

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default comet clutch,what is your result so far..

on 400 2 stroke only,clutch seem to over load too fast with hpd race mods,be sure belt clerance is fine you cauz it hurt the engagement bad,
hpd spring doesn't work on that one and they will eventually bind or wear
out the clutch bushing if you do so,overal effiency is greatly improved tough,,with some thundershift weights it work good really down low til shifting.more testing this year coming.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Get yourself some of those whit plastic shims that used to come in the old style artco/comet clutch kits,or make some from white nylon shaft. These shims go behind the center bolt washer .Remove the center bolt,place shim,re install centerboltand washer.You may have to experiment with thicknesses to suit your needs. These white plastic shims will close the ridiculous side belt gap on this clutch,and get the engagement back to what you are more used to.(and you can use them to adjust).
In order to get the overdrive they claim,you have to cut some down in the bottom of the sheaves.
It seems a lot of people have used it and hated it,but if you don't mind fiddling around a bit,it can be more flexible for racing than the stock clutch.

Old 04-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

yes,exactly you need to put shim to set proper belt to sheaves clearance
,or the clutch will not all the way open up so reving faster then engaging higher,it is a lot better than standard p-85,but polaris clutch is easier to fine tune.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Some of the problems will change if you use the COMET WEIGHTS AND SPRINGS. Using the polaris/HPD springs and weights caused it to engage to High.I think the main problem is using polaris weights.In the comet clutch the polaris weights start their curve back far on the heel side of the weight,farther back than comet weights.
The far back spot causes it to engage high.

I'm still testing it but with polaris weights and springs I used a silver spring and 10-54 weights.Even with that set up I don't understand what everone was talking about when they said they couldn't get overdrive.(must be listening to HPD).I love HPD but don't ask them for help.\
AAEN is the one to talk to,to get you in the right area.
BUBBA,is the man !!he puts it to you in a way you can understand.

Don't give up.We need to help each other.Peope will talk bad about this clutch but beleive me,Even if you get it close to the HPD/with polaris clutch it will be faster and harder hitting.

Right now I have a PURPLE comit spring and AC comet weights.

You said that it won't get overdriver because the belt isn't wide enough and the shives will touch on the inside of the clutch before the belt gets to the top. That maybe true BUT,keep in mind that the overall size of the clutch is LARGER.This means that the belt has MORE shive to travel on.I have measured this and I have seen that the STOCK belt travels Higher on the Comet clutch.If the belt traved that far on a POlaris clutch it would almost be off the shive.So you see It will acheve A higher top end because it will travel out farther.
AT least that is how it has been for me.I haven't had any top end problems(it's Faster)overdrive hasn't been a problem(don't know what people are talking about)They may think that there is no overdrive because it will drop right down if you let off the gas and be faster to responed.
IT's a good clutch keep me informed, togher we an make it prefect.
Righ now we maybe the only one using it.

Old 04-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

On the one that I have,and it was the first production run, ...it is a bigger diameter,but the belt would not go to the top of it. The sheave may be bigger,but if the sheaves come tight together at the bottom before the belt is to the top...How is the belt going to go to the top ..the sheave can't close any more to push the belt to the top. After I cut some surface at the bottom of the sheaves it will now go higher.
Maybe newer ones allow the belt to go to the top with no modification.
You can run any polaris weights in this clutch and engage at whatever rpm you want if you set up the shims properly.
This is a great clutch and it is very flexible if you have good clutch knowledge. I think it was sent out to the masses without good instruction and dissapointed a lot of people. There are definately a few things that could be done to improve it for novice tuners.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Keep tuning them comet clutches guys! I got one in my sights. As my stock one is just about shot. Ill be pluggin you fellas for some knowlede. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

cool fiximatt,i'm with you on that one,,i'm using HPD silver right now,
i run thundershift weights only,the dealer up here don't have any comet spring in stock and no date when either.

my belt is at about 1/4' on top of secondary,a slightly gearing change and sheaves should be wide used.i like engagement at 4600 rpm,under that
you have a bog problem when you snap hard,i'm still waiting for my plastic shim for sheaves clerances.
so far i love the clutch and it is a peice of art.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Range Rover

I have one for sale calibrated for a 400 xplorer (pink pri.spring 54g weights )little use ,$300 CDN.,located in ontario Canada

Old 04-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

You guys need to help me on theses shim things.I'm not having to much of a problem with the set up i have now .Silver spring 10-54 weights but, the engagement is still high.I just got the comet weights and spring but before I go putting those into this clutch I want to find New ways to enagage it with the plaris stuffbecause the plaris weights are CHEEPER.

So tell me where do these shims go . From what I seen It goes under the cover. if that is true how dose it help you,the reason why I ask is because I thought that if you added a shim ther it would be under the spring which would cause a high pretention.
Do they go under the cover -as in I would need 6 shims(the bolts that hold the cover on and the spring in) to push the sheave closer to the other--But wouldn't that cause the spring to be lighter.I just don't undersand.If it is the center bolt how dose that do anything but hold it on the motor.
Forgive me on this but I just never messed with the shims and don't know nyone around here who has .so when i ask someone they think I'm wacked.

I just want to f--k around with it more.I'm happy with my set up other than the engagement.(TO HIGH).

Old 04-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

The shims go under the center bolt(on the outside of the cover).When you put shims here it holds the moving sheave in closer to the belt..and farther away from the spider roller. Just take off your outside big cover shroud and push in the clutch face plate ..you will see that it goes in to touch the belt,and there will be a space between the center bolt washer and the clutch cover plate.Give me a call sometime or e-mail me ,and I will help you if i can over the phone.I'm probably not the best at explaining things on a keyboard.

Quick Reply: comet clutch,what is your result so far..