Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

If you own a POLARIS READ THIS !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2000, 01:26 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a letter I have sent to polaris regarding the ball joint problems. It would be great if everyone could do somthing similar.
You can go to Polaris's page at
http://www.polarisindustries.com/default.asp
Then click on "MY Polaris" and set up an account then you can send them mail in the " ASK US " section.

To Whom it concerns:
Hello, I am writing to express my disgust in polaris's lack of customer service after the sale.
I currently own 2, year 2000 polaris ATVs. My Scrambler 500 has less than 300 miles on it and performs admirabily, but its reliabilty is poor.
For this reason I am in the process of preparing it to be sold . During my inspection I found both outer ball joints to be faulty.
I inspected my wifes 2000 Trailblazer and it has a different setup. I called my local dealer and he told me that this was an ongoing problem. He said that polaris had come up with a new part to superceed the old faulty ball joints, then he told me that the were 30.00 dollars a side!
I seems to me that a company like polaris that has been struggling with a reputation for poor reliabilty would be eagar to remedy any longivity issues. It is obvious that Polaris knew that the old design was faulty, or they would not have made a replacement part. Why take the time to build new machines when you are destroying your reputation. I bought my polaris because it was the most interesting ATV on the market, and I did not think that the reputation for poor reliabilty was warrented, but I was wrong.
Honda sell boring mild machines because people know that they will last, nobody buys a 450 S to be the baddest 4x4 in the woods, they buy it because they know it will get them home for a long time. I paid cash for my ATV, but I feel for the people that have financed Polaris ATV's. I can only imagine the frustration of constantly having to repair a machine that I owed money on.
It is only fair that Polaris provide the updated wear parts at no charge to the customer.
It would not be nessacary to advertize the new part, as I feel that would cause lots of unessacary replacement, but when someone brings one in for replacement, then a new part should be provided at no charge.
You should know that if I dont get some satisfaction on this that you have lost a customer for life and I will pass the word.
Please reply to this ASAP
Thank You,
Andrew Ekstrom

Old 07-18-2000, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

let us know if/when they relpy.
good luck

Old 07-18-2000, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said before. YOUR WARRANTY IS ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR DEALER! I found out (by this forum) that the individual parts for the tie rod ends are cheaper than the kits. Why I dont know. Your dealer could have repaired your machine for about $25 dollars in parts for both sides. They should have repaced them if thats all the miles you have on it. Hardly worth loosing a good customer dont you think? I am sure he could recover his cost by contacting the factory. Thats his job not yours. My "97" 500 has the origanal small tie rods. I keep them greased and they are still like new. They are constantly updating and improving their products for the good of all of us and for that reason I will probably get a new machine in the near future.

Old 07-18-2000, 02:12 PM
Range Rover

Chopperbill,
My machine is older than 6 mo so I am out of luck there, my point is that this is a faulty part that should be updated beyond the normal warranty. I have a very good dealer he is small and should not be held responsable for poor parts from polaris. This is an out sourced item that I am sure was cheap and did wonders for the "Botton Line" They need to make this right.
See YA Drew

Old 07-18-2000, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

What other problems have you had with your Scrambler?

Old 07-18-2000, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

The issue with the tie rods ends, is it just that they get loose? they really are not broken right? it actually poses no threat to leave anyone stranded in the woods cursing Polaris tie rod ends? I ask people around here about tie rod ends and not one person I know has ever replaced one or actually heard there was a problem. They basically just make the front end feel loose?

Old 07-18-2000, 02:31 PM
Range Rover

Nothing really, my brakes have held up. The lower steering stem bearing was junk from day one so I upgraded that with one from HPD.
I am very thourough with my clean an grease procedure after every ride.
I have tried to be fair but when it comes right down to it the relibilty of these machines needs to be improved.
See YA Drew

Trending Topics

Old 07-18-2000, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, allot of people are having good luck and trouble free for years but it seems though some people are not, seems as though they either run top notch or not at all, does Polaris have different place they make different models? I remember my dad buying cars in the early 80's and he would not buy ones from certain factories.

Old 07-18-2000, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

My friend just sold his 93' 300EX this machine was ridden hard and he bought it new. He went through 5 sets of tires and 1 set of chain and sprockets. Besides oil changes he just rode it and put it away,but his machine was still tight.
There is no reason I should have to put up with a loose front end on a brand new machine.
This is not rocket science, why can't they buy a honda and copy some of tech. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel with these mundane wear parts.
See YA Drew

Old 07-18-2000, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

You are right , they should be tighter , they should contract out ,is it hot seat? or HPD that makes the stiffer steering rod and bushing? well they should have them standard. There is no reason especially when a company is already making them for there machines. so far mine has not gotten loose, i have 840 miles.

Quick Reply: If you own a POLARIS READ THIS !!