Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Still won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still won't start

Well I started the thread about needing a new plug. I put the new plug in and it still won't start. I'm not sure it is getting gas. Can someoen tell me where the fuel filter is or give me a couple suggestions to get my wheeler running. I don't have a repair manual but it will be the first thing I'll buy when I get a chance. Any help is appreciated. BART

Old 04-13-2004, 02:48 AM
Trailblazer

Don't take this the wrong way, but is your gas turned on? I managed to spend a few hours tracking that "problem" down with my old 700.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Hook a timing light to the plug wire and see if it lights up while cranking, if you don't have a light just pull the plug, hook it back to the wire and ground the end of the plug on the engine block. Again see if there is spark in the gap. If not, it's something in the CDI or related to it. If you DO have spark then you have narrowed it down to an air or fuel issue. If you haven't messed with anything else (tore the carb apart to see how it works...that kind of thing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) Pull your air filter off and place your hand over the hole to make sure there is vaccuum. This is a twofold test as you will be able to check that you have a good ring seal and it will also act as a choke to get fuel into the combustion chamber. Anything beyond that will probably take more than some advice to figure out. Hope this helps.

Also, I assume that since it wouldn't start after you replaced the plug that it was able to turn over, that little kill switch on the handlebar has burned more that a couple people. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

These are the things you need to do to get your quad running again; they are in order:
#1 Take a compression test. Good? Go to #2. Bad? Figure out why the hole is low.
#2 Take off the air cleaner and give it a shot of ether. Does it start for a second or two and then die, try to start or pop? If so, you have fuel problems of some sort. Figure out why no fuel is getting to the engine. If not, you have an electrical problem.
#3 Ground your new plug on the cyl head and crank it over. Any spark? No? Ok, you've confirmed that you have no spark and need to see why.
The name of the game is to narrow it down to mechanical, fuel, or electrical. Even after you figure that out, sometimes it is hard to figure out why the sub system won't work.

Old 04-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Well Gordy and doctorturbo pretty much said it all...but don't worry your not alone...my quad wasn't running a while back and I had the same problem! As for your fuel filter..follow your fuel line out of the gas tank........it will lead you right to your fuel filter...should be before you fuel pump.....if thats clean....check your spark plug like they said...just touch it to a ground and crank it..if it gets spark your good there...so then check carb...first cup your hand over your air intake allowing little or no air to enter then crank it..this sucks more fuel in the carb and sometimes will unclog a jet or something if you have something clogging it..if that doesn't work then I would shoot a little either (starting fluid) NOT TO MUCH THOUGH~don't want to burn anything up..if still no luck then I would dig in the carb...not to deep..just deep enough to take the jets out and hit it with gunkout and to check the float...put that back together and try her then..if still no luck...I would check the compression..but you've heard pretty much the same thing three times..good luck with your quad..Ive been there before and it was down for two months[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

ya ether is very very touchy stuff. just a little little shot in your spark plug hole or your carburetor will do it. to much and u can blow your engine becuase it ignites so quickly.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:02 AM
Range Rover

I normally don't use ether, some older car mechanics always told me to use wd-40 as it will burn like gas and ignite if there is fire, yet won't hurt like ether

Old 04-15-2004, 03:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I heard that they took the flameability characteristics out of WD-40?

Old 04-15-2004, 03:14 AM
Range Rover

might have, it's been a few years since I've used it, have to go try it with a lighter, wonder if I'll have any hair left? just kidding!!

Old 04-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

Yep - you can't start stuff off the new formula of WD-40, I still have 2 cans of the old stuff that I use to start my tractor when it is cold (and I am saving it for that specific purpose)

The guy at our local saw shop uses the Dollar General Store brand of WD-40 that is still flamable