Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Procom CDI before and after on Predator test!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procom CDI before and after on Predator test!

Well I just got back from testing the Procom CDI on my brothers Pred. We did some 300' and 660'(1/8 mile) times to see if there was going to be any difference. My brothers Pred is stock, except with a 13/38 gearing. The 300' and 660' times were done on a gravel rd with a slight uphill slope.

We did the 300' first, and did it multiply times, and he average a 6.13 time. On the 660', he averaged 10.58. Now these times were done with me lowering my arm, and when my arm was down, I hit the stop watch. Not ideal, but did the job.

Now we stop and put in the Procom, and did the same test over. The results, didn't gain a thing, but didn't lose anything either. Yes his rev was higher, but he said it didn't feel like he was getting any more power by reving it more. And by the times, it showed. He did at least 20 runs, and he was no faster with the new CDI. So what I saw today is, the Procom gives you more rev, but the power curve still seem the same. So even tho he could rev higher, he was reving past the peak power, thus gaining nothing over the stock one. If the Procom changed the power curve, then it might be worth to buy, but right now, I don't think it's woth the $100+. Maybe it works better on a modded Pred. Maybe that's why the Procom is only $100, and all the others ar $400.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Good impartial review, and you did your best with the "equipment" at hand to do some timing runs.

Thanks for taking the time to do the test and posting your results.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Great review, The factory CDI revs enough to cover the powerband of the stock cam. A ported bigbore might see a little gain since you increase the flow and raise the power curve slightly. Polaris didn't do a bad job on the Pred, they give us a good combo out of the box. the highly modded Preds twisting over 11000 rpm is when the CDI makes a major difference. And they are worth every penny of the $400.00 plus.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Range Rover

Been there done that. Bought a Plasma Booster for my Z400 with LRD 440 kit in it. LRD tested with and without Booster on dyno and there was no power gain or loss. I did lose way over $200 though to Alba,never again,be warned,and they said I'd be able to feel!! the difference.YA! RIGHT!!

Old 04-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

You will not make any more power unless you've got intake mods and a pipe to let it flow better. I've modded my carb and have the wb can. I tested before the cdi and after the cdi by dragging my cousins modded raptor. Withe the mods I had berfore I didn't pull ahead until 5th gear. His machine was geared down. Then I put the Procom unit on and I gained about a quad length every gear. I found I could stay in each gear a second or 2 longer and still keep making power.

End result was I gained about 5 quad lengths up until top speed and then I just kept pulling away.

Without modding the carb and exhuast your not going to see any gain. The predator doesn't need any porting for the mild mods I have. Someone on here says that the head flows enough for a 550 cc motor. Can't remember who though, but I can believe it.

Old 04-24-2004, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

He can't do anything to the motor or exhaust due to running in the stock class at the GNCC races. So he was hopeing a CDI would give him a bit more power in every gear. He said the higher rev will help him in the races, because he can hold a gear longer without shifting.

What did you do to your carb to mod it? Would it help a stock motor if he did it?

Old 04-24-2004, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

GE, Contact Doug @ Nicholas cycle, he has some trick mods for the stock carb that work really well. It will make the engine rev alot faster and increase torque on the bottom end. The procom does make the Pred alot more forgiving when you over rev. It will not fall flat on it's face like the stock CDI.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

On the Carb you can drill the two holes inthe slide with 1/8 inch drill bit. I also cliped about 4 coils off the spring. That'll give you better throttle response. Also, adjust the fuel mixture screw ( you'll have to drill out a brass plug to adjust, I can't remember how many turns to turn it. (I did this over a year ago.) Someone else on here should know. Then you'll have to rejet. Since your not putting on a pipe I'm not sure what your settings would be. Not even sure if it'll work with out a pipe. Unless you take the exhuast baffle off, i'm not sure.

Important note. None of this'll really work unless you put a clamp on filter on or put some univents on the air box.

I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, but hopefully someone smarter then me will be able to tell you what to do. The guys at hardrock motorsports and nicholas cycle should be of good help. So I hear, at least

Old 04-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

I should tell you that I did all the carb work from a kit I got from superbikeshop. I have two different air box lids for this reason. I use the lid with the hole in it only on certain occasions, like when theirs little chance of dirt getting in. I use it less and less because the gain I get from it isn't worth the risk of a blown motor.

Old 04-24-2004, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Duck tape stryper.

later

Quick Reply: Procom CDI before and after on Predator test!