Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Blown engine - EFI 700 - angry owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown engine - EFI 700 - angry owner

I know some of the Polaris guys on the highlfter forum said they were having a problem with rod bearings on the 700 if I'm not mistaken. Maybe you should check over there. I hope one of the dealers stands up for you. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

I don't know if this was your problem or not but here is a link.

polaris rod bearing thread

Old 04-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer doesnt want your problems. They dont want something they didnt sell taking up room. There is a lot of paperwork and hassle associated with factory replacements. Take it back to where you bought it. This my friends is why you purchase a machine based on the dealer, and not the price. A few bucks isnt a big deal when you can get quality people who want to take care of you. I understand that in your case it was a significant sum, but usually the prices are pretty close.

Old 04-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

I bought 2 - the Sp 600 and the Sp 700 EFI for a lower price than the local dealer was asking for an Sp 500 and an Sp 600.

The dealer makes money on repairs in any case.

Instead of basing my purchase on the dealer, I maybe should have bought a Kawa or AC if I can't even get proper service for a bike with 60 some miles on it.

The service I have received so far cannot and should not be defended.

I'm still interested in thoughts as to how water got into the engine when I only went in a foot of water and how such a small amount of water blew the engine.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:38 AM
EAB
Pro Rider

When I've pulled hydrolocked auto engines appart there is definitly water in the cyl. and not much 'it could have been....'.
Before they pulled it appart I wonder if they looked to see if any of the intake boots/joints were loose before or after the filter.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've been told that, being liquid cooled, a blown head gasket could simulate a hydraulic lock. Has anyone ever seen this?

Old 04-26-2004, 09:45 AM
Trailblazer

I would take it back where I got it from. You'll probably have better luck with the shop who has made a buck already. Some dealers will go to bat FOR you, others will just hit you with the bat, I'd take the ride myself.
There are exceptions I use a dealer who treats me right,and I didn't buy this bike there,but I will buy my next from him.

After dealing with the first 2 shops I realized I needed to FIND a good one even if it was farther than I would like.

There are lemons in all kinds of machines,QC may have missed a piece of slag in a casting or something similiar. With only 60 mi. on it I would hope POLARIS would do the right thing & replace the engine.

Let us know how you are treated, alot of people read these forums and POLARIS cust. service is on the spot.

BTW have almost 1000 trouble free mi. on my 02 700. Keep the faith !

Old 04-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer

Just got off the phone with the service manager. The repairs have been authorized by Polaris and they will start fixing it as soon as the parts come in, supposedly.

He said they are changing both pistons, rods and crankshaft. He didn't know if it was the left or right rod that suffered the most damage. He still says it was a hydrolic lock that caused the damage. He would not speculate as to how the water got in, saying I would be the one to know since I was driving the bike. He said he thought I may have driven through a puddle at a high rate of speed. I insisted that I was worried about how the water got in and if it would happen again. He said he couldn't help me with that. They would do the authorized repairs. I asked for the Polaris phone number. He gave me a different one than the one I had already. Once the repairs are made, I will call Polaris Canada and tell them my story. I want it documented, get some possible reasons why it happened and get some assurances that if it happens with this bike again, that I won't be screwed.

I still want to know how this could have happened. The puddle story doesn't wash.

In any case, according to this guy, Polaris approved all repairs on a hydrolocked bike. That's his story at least.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Quad Patrol

While the bike is apart, look at every possible way water could of gotten into the engine. If everything appears to be put together right, then silicon all the joints. Things do come apart from riding. Did you happen to take it in for a service after your initially broke it in? To make sure everything was still connected properly? Did you do any inspections yourself to see if anything had come loose yourself? I know it had low mileage on it, but things do loosen after being riden for awhile. Would some preventative maintenance helped? Just my thoughts. Good luck

Old 04-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If they really thought the motor blew, because of hydralic lock....beleive me, they wouldnt touch it under warrentee. Youd be stuck paying.
Ive seen many polaris atvs go way beyond the racks into the water, and some have even been swamped(water in carbs) and none have blown up. Its ridiculous, to go thru 12" of water, no matter how fast, and use that as an excuse why the engine blew.
Like i said before, they use the water excuse every chance they get....some people get guilty and cave in, and pay the bill, when water wasnt the cause. And it isnt just polaris that pulls this crap.
If it were me....Id dump this lemon, as soon as I got it back. My two cents.

Quick Reply: Blown engine - EFI 700 - angry owner