Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

predator valve timing

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default predator vavle timing

hey i need some help guys. my predator is having problems starting right now and i think it might be because the timing or the vavles being to tight. when you hold your hand over the carb to choke it, it sucks and blows air. ive read serval times that the timing chain should have 17 ''dots'' between the timing marks on the cam gear. well for some reason mine only has 16. so i think it has jumped time or has been like this since ive had it. mine is also a '04 model if that makes a differnce but i figure its the same as a '03 as for as the timing goes. i have not noticed a loss in power since ive had it, it just doesnt want to start. we are going to do a leak down test tommorrow and go from there but i need somebody with a service manual to confirm it is suppose to be 17 dots. maybe it could just be the decompression lever? also has anybody adjusted there vavles? i know they are hardly ever suppose to need it but i think mine might. any help with adjusting the vavles would be great. ive read a little bit about the shims, i doesnt sound to fun. i guess i need to buy a service manual, or does anybody know where i can download one? ive done ruled out everything else for it not wanting to start. the carb is set at all factory settings so it should atleast start. the jets, needle, needle vavle, seat, mixture screw is all in good condition and stock settings. it has a new spark plug and the ignition timing is right. and of course it fires, and has a hot battery. anybody want to take a stab at this? i guess i should also mention it is all stock except for a twin air filter. thanks for any help!

Old 05-10-2004, 07:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

if its an 04... and you are having trouble, then id take it to your dealer... still under warrenty.
my dealer claimed my timing jumped a tooth after they put it back together from my tranny blowing... but i think they just f'ed it up when they assembled it.

Old 05-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

i wish i could do that. but all the dealers around here ive checked with are idiots. and i dont have much faith in their mechanic skills. the last one i went to for the brake line recall said mine was ''abused'' because the tires are bout wore out and a-amrs had scrathes and some paint rubbing off from trail riding. and when i took it down there they said it wasnt firing and there was no way it would run the way i brought it down there. i found out the mechanic messed with the safety thing in the throttle and when i picked it up it was still set where it would not start. so yea they are idiots. anybody else? surely somebody has put in some cams or something on there on?

Old 05-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just went through my motor and there are 3 gold links on the timing chain and each one lines up with dots on the side of the cam gears and crank gear. The part that sucks it you have to dissassemble your clutch and remove the crank bolt to see the dot on the crank gear. You also have to remove the cam tensioner. There might be an easier way but that is how it says to do it in the manual....

Old 05-10-2004, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks ex2pred. ok the brass links lines up with the cam gear marks but i havent checked the crank gear yet. i did find out the intake vavles are to tight and need adjusted. so i no longer think the timing is off. anybody ever adjusted there vavles? how much clearnce are there suppose to be between the cam and lifters? and do you check it with the cam lobes straight up or i guess tdc? also anybody have any idea what size and how many shims were under the lifter from the facotry? im sure its different in each one though. just trying to get an idea of what im in for. wow im bout to have some fun!