Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hey BBS have a question for ya!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 11:06 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey BBS have a question for ya!!!!!

Have you had any play in the steering? If so what did ya replace....I know I need tie rod ends, but where can I get them at a good price? How about the steering post bearing could it be bad?

Old 05-17-2004, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

your upper post bushing might be bad,partsland.com sells the tie-rod ends for $19.99

Old 05-17-2004, 11:12 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

Thanks 420....We need to hoke up and go to big rock sometime...or W.N.F we are planning go go to one ASAP. I hoping to take my 4x4 off this weekend.

Old 05-17-2004, 11:30 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Might want to check the steering bushing. Just changed it on mine, made a big difference. Get the HPD replacement, not stock Polaris. Much better part. Old bushing is riveted in place, used a dremel tool to cut it off on mine. If you haven't gotten changed over to 2WD yet, you'll have more stuff in your way than I did. Stock bushing from my dealer was 20 bucks (plastic), I saw HPD for 30 (aluminum).

Old 05-17-2004, 11:43 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

I looked that them from HPD, I won everything I need off e-bay last night to change it to a 2x4. I can not wait. I'm still going to go with the 14 tooth sprocket if I find one......if I try to turn the front wheels I have about 1 inch of play, don't really know if it is the steering bearing or the tie rods. Have you ever changed your tie rod ends? Just wondering what I need to change(as far as the tie rod ends)

Old 05-18-2004, 01:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sorry for the delay. Just got back from the movies. Seen Van Hellsing (sp?). Anyway. I did have some play in the steering. As the others stated, replaced the steering post bearing with the HPD unit. All good after that. In fact, I am still on my original tie rods. But for those, you may want to check out EPI.

Old 05-18-2004, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

I can't beleive so many are loosing the 4x4! I had thought about it, but I know that I would miss it... I would rather find a sport and build it up, or a trailblazer and swap a motor, and still keep my Scram a 4x4. I have made it into basically a Offroad race truck, or a stadium truck... I bet loosing the 4x4 would shed at least 70 lbs...

Old 05-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

its strange,ive read so much about ppl replacing the lower post bearing.mine is still like brandnew and ive already replaced the upper and tie-rod ends a couple times..RAJ whenever you wanna ride over this way let me know,id be happy to give you a tour[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

That because it was upgraded in 01. The '00 and older (and some of the early 01's) had a cheap steerign post bearing

Old 05-18-2004, 06:57 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Cheap doesn't descirbe it. The upper bushing isn't bad (yet) on mine, but I couldn't believe it was just two pieces of plastic. I may go ahead and order both from HPD even though the bottom one is new. I would feel a whole lot better knowing I had a quality part in such a critical area. It's hard enough to miss trees when I can steer.

Quick Reply: Hey BBS have a question for ya!!!!!