Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

steering squeek

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2000, 12:56 PM
rdr
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been getting a squeek in my steering on a 2000 SP 500. I jacked the front end off the ground, and verified the squek while turning both left and right. I found a grease zerk by the tie rods and the steering shaft and pumped some grease, but no luck.

I am wondering if it could be where the steering shaft bolts to hold the shaft in place. It has a 1" bolt with a cotter pin and a washer riding against the support frame.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-31-2000, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

After most mud rides, I clean my bike really good, and upon it drying, sometimes notice a creaky squeak from the front end. What I've found is the top strut mount. Spraying up under the metal piece and saturating all with armorall will make it quit.

Old 07-31-2000, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem.If you look under your headligt and steering colum,you will find a grease zerk.Look hard because it is buried under a few wires.Grease that and your problem is solved.Don't pump more than two times.

Old 07-31-2000, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am also having the same problem with my SP500.
The cause on my machine is the upper spring turns inside the upper strut mount, and at certain points causes squeeks as the struts are compressed. I can turn the spring by hand to another position and noise stops for a while, however after riding and turning it begins again. I thought lubricating would help, but it only solves the problem short term. Is there a rubber bushing above the spring that could have worn out?

Old 08-02-2000, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Many times the upper steering support, under the headlight pod, will squeek because most people forget to grease it. It's hidden! While your up there, make sure the mounts are tight. This is also a common cause for loose steering.

The Polaris springs squeek a lot too....

Old 08-04-2000, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

Read my earlier post and turn the armorall(or equivalent) to where it sprays a stream instead of mist, and spray it up into all possible areas at the top strut mount, above and below the mount. This must be repeated after it is washed away by mud-riding or washing, but seems to really help. The problem with spray lubricants is that they evaporate. Armorall is a rubber/plastic lubricant that adheres to and conditions rubber and plastic specifically. I even went so far as to take the top mount apart and grease between all moving parts. This helped for a while, but the armorall has been the best. Just try it and see what you think.

Old 08-04-2000, 10:20 AM
rdr
Weekend Warrior

It is still squeking after putting new grease in the zerks and have spraying the tie rod ends, but have yet to give everything a good coating at the top of the steering column. I will give this a try. I noticed the squeeking after fording through a 2 1/2 foot stream thus washing away whatever coating I had. Thanks for you help.

Old 08-04-2000, 03:15 PM
Range Rover

The squeeking is most likley the rubber bushings at the top of the struts. The strut tends to rotate these bushings back and fourth causing them to dry out and squeek. Lubracation is just a bandaid fix.
I had a local bearing shop order some HD thrust bearings, I am going to put them between the spring and strut at the bottom. This will allow the strut to turn without turning the spring. This should stop the squeeking and make the steering much easier.
I will keep you posted with the results.
See Ya Drew

Old 08-04-2000, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

I use spay silicone lube at on the strut bushings. It seems to work well and will last for a while.

Greg