Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

On Demand AWD mod ? Possible ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2000, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure somebody out there has figured this out, and maybe it's done commonly, and I'm just too new to know it, but here is the question.

Is it possible to "bypass" the "on demand" function of AWD and have power to all 4 wheels, even when the rear are not slipping ? I wouldn't want it all the time, so would put maybe a toggle switch to turn the bypass on and off.

The reason I ask, is that it just kills me to try to PUSH the front tires up onto an obstact. I'd like to have the front tires assist in climbing up onto a log or when I back the pickup into a ditch for loading, and have the tailgate six inches off the ground.

I'm certain that this CAN be done, just wondered if it HAS been done.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 08-03-2000, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

IndyDave,

Can't be done. Pushing the button simply ENABLES the mechanical hubs. The mechanical hubs lock as a function of front wheel speed vs rear wheel speed. The locking of the hubs is purely mechanical. There is no way to electrically activate them on demand. Sorry for the bad news.

There has been much discussion on the topic. A quick search of the old topics will give you ample reading material.

DJ

Old 08-03-2000, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Theres really no way that its possible to make the Polaris AWD system put power to all four wheels.
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT THESE SPEED SENSORS.. hehehehe... There is NO wheel sensors!!...
The Polaris AWD is more of a Sprag. The electrical connection just turns on a magnet that "catches" the rollers and causes the axle to overrun the wheel. When this happens, it binds the rollers between the inner and outer hides and forces the wheel/hub to turn... As soon as you aren't in that situation, the rollers relax. When you are REALLY binding the awd system and then it seems that they dont want to disengage, THATS the rollers "stuck" against the outer portion. Thats why backing up releases them so well.
I've read several articles that have suggested that Polaris uses speed sensors to dictate front wheel engagement.... PLEASE, SOMEBODY POINT THESE OUT TO ME!!.. hahahaha..

Old 08-03-2000, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Dammit !

Thanks for your help guys.

dave

Old 08-04-2000, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

There is constant power to the front drivelines. The only thing holding us up for all wheeldrive is the clutch in the front wheels. Wouldn't it be great if someone like superwinch or warn would make a manual hub for those of you who want fulltime four wheel drive. The only disadvantages would be tough steering, excessive driveline wear, and the pain of having to get off to engage and disengage the hub.

Old 08-04-2000, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

Here is a thought, need some feed back. Past posts refer to haveing engine braking on all four wheels going down hill by first backing up with the override switch on to put it in 4x4 and then put it in drive still holding the switch. You now have 4x4 engine braking. It works. Been there done that and it is at times very handy. Well, just do this before climbing those pesky logs or loading on the truck, whatever. Not the best solution but helps out in a pinch!
Sneeky

Old 08-05-2000, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

Guess maybe I'm missing something but as the thing says it's "on demand" why not let the machine decide when it needs 4x4,are we smarter than the machine.The 1/5 turn of the rear wheels isn't even noticeable,before its in 4x4.CM

Old 08-05-2000, 11:35 PM
Range Rover

Yes, we are smarter than the machine. Just think about that song anticipation. If you see it coming you can get all setup for it.

It's nice that the machine will engage if you didn't see it coming though.

Old 08-05-2000, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here is how I made my 00 Xpedition AWD anytime the switch is on. Check your wiring diagram for other models because I don't know if this goes for all Polaris or not.--- Go to any trailer supply or any place that sells trailer connectors. Buy a four pin flat plug that has a male connector on one end and female connector on the other. This plug is normally called an extension plug and is about a foot long. When you get the plug cut the white wire and add another wire to it. Then pull the nosepiece plastic off. When you get this off look on the left side of the wiring mess and you will see a plug that resembles the trailer plug. It has a three prong plug and one single wire plugged into it. Unplug this and put the extension plug in. Then take the wire that was added to the white wire and ground it to the frame. When this is done you should be able to turn on the AWD anytime you want. To test it just turn the key on and flip the switch. If you did it right the light will come on with the bike in neutral.

Old 08-06-2000, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

XpedEd,

What the heck are you talking about?

If I understand correctly, you are simply hardwiring the AWD switch (at the harness under the hood). What you are doing is the equivalent of simply turning the AWD switch on. Why not just turn the switch on that Polaris gave you?

You are getting AWD "ENABLED" anytime the key is on. You would get the same thing by simply leaving the AWD switch on all the time.

Since the electrical circuits for the Polaris AWD system simply ENABLE the mechanical hubs to lock, you cannot force the front hubs to lock with any modifications to the wiring.

Locking of the hubs is purely mechanical (and will only lock if the AWD switch is providing power to the coils). Short of replacing the hubs with manual locking hubs (as suggested above) or some other, as yet uninvented for the Polaris hub that can be forced to lock, we cannot make any electrical modifications that will allow us to force the hub locking.

So, bottom line, I can't figure out what you did, short of hardwiring the AWD switch. You certainly aren't forcing the front hubs to lock. They will still only lock when the back wheels overspeed the fronts.

DJ

PS, ChickenMan has it right in my opinion. The system Polaris provides seamless engagement when we need it. Why mess with it?

Quick Reply: On Demand AWD mod ? Possible ?