Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

450R or Predator -- Need to decide, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450R or Predator -- Need to decide, please help!

I'm getting one or the other but can't decide. I have only seen these atv's in brochures because the dealer doesn't have either of these in the showroom. I have a few questions that will help me make up my mind so I have to rely on people that have these quads to help me make a decision. I've never posted here before, but I have been reading this forum for a few years, so your help is appreciated.

The R is $600 more than the pred .... is it worth it since they are relatively close in power, is the Honda that much better?

How soft is seat on the R and Predator (which is the softest and largest). I do mostly trail riding and ride in sand pits for fun, i guess you could classify it as cross country ... not into jumping just long fast rides on winding off-roads and rough tight trails that are very technical ... so comfort and stability is a key concern.

What type of fuel economy do both have? I'd like to know how many miles or kms you typically get per tank including reserve.

In really rough terrain, where you have to stand up riding, which has the best handling characterictics?

Which is the best hillclimber?

Which has the best all around tires and rims? It's always the first thing I have to upgrade on all previous ATV's I've owned.

I also ride in winter, so if anyone has any experiences with either in cold winter conditions please feel free to elaborate.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, here we go again. From a truly financial stand point, as you say, the R is $600 more than the Pred. Well that alone tells you something. Also, the Pred (stock) has upgrades the R does not have, like the Douglas .190 rims, with the Maxxis Razor tires, and braided steel brake lines, chromolly "tough as nails" axle, and 50 more cc's. Unless you were going to compete (which does not allow 500cc's) and you are planning on trail/fun riding, why not go with the Pred? "R" will cost you $600 more and you will still have to shell out cash for upgrading your rims and tires which could cost around another $400. Take the $1000 bucks you would save by going with the Pred, and get some Skat- Trak Terrain Trak rear tires (designed for sand, mud, snow, and hard surface applications) and a ski conversion kit from A.D. Bovin for the front tires and walla, you have sweet winter quad!

Old 07-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

predator

Old 07-07-2004, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Send a PM to Hozed with your questions. He owns both. Who else could offer that kind of insight?

Old 07-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WileyCoyote
Send a PM to Hozed with your questions. He owns both. Who else could offer that kind of insight?
Dont hozed own a yfz?

But i am sure he can help i think he has rode an r.

Old 07-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

and dont the R's have a kickstart instead of electric?

Old 07-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Hosed does have a Yfz. But his friend owns a 450R. I think hes spent some time on both.

I have not ridden a 450R, so I can not give much insight to them, but I really like my pred. Some dislikes I have are; The seat has a stupid dip that slopes you to the front up against the tank, it is a little on the wide side for real aggressive trail riding/racing, and the front shocks are a little on the harsh side.

On the plus side as others have said you get electric start, some quality aftermarket items standard, and if your a track rider the added width is a plus. And with an extra $300-400 bucks to add rezzies on the front you'll have fully adjustable shocks on the front just like the R. Just some things to think about...... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 07-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

doesnt the 450r need rebuilds around 100 to 150 hours of hard riding. the pred is also electric start.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

go with the 450r

Old 07-07-2004, 07:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Polaris500HO4x4
doesnt the 450r need rebuilds around 100 to 150 hours of hard riding. the pred is also electric start.
If you are racing, you want to do that anyway, probably a lot more often. Typically the 450's dont require any more maintenance than any other hi po sport atv.

Quick Reply: 450R or Predator -- Need to decide, please help!