Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Whats wront

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2000, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, my sp500s tranny was making a slapping sound. So i took the cover off, and a little peice of rubber was loose in there ( moving freely ) So i took that off and am getting a new belt. Is there anything else i need to look at? Also i was in mud yesterday and there was some water at the top of it and i somehow maganged to kill my motor. It was only 2" over the muffler. IT was dead for maybe 10 seconds top. SO when i got out i blew it out. I heard that if you dont do this it will mess it up big time. is there any thing i need to check/change. Also my belt was in pefect condition after 1200+ miles. BUt i am getting a new one cause the fibers on that one was start to go bad. So i dont have to get in there and change it again. Sould i go ahead and get a new updated belt cover.

Old 08-14-2000, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changing the belt is probably all you need to do. But, While you have the cover off, check the clutch buttons for slack. If there is any slack, you need to pull the clutch and replace them.

Also if you are going to replace the clutch cover with the new design, I think you need to replace the back cover also which means removing both clutches. If you do this also replace the primary clutch seah (behine the primary) This seal receives heat from the engine and goes bad often. It only takes 5 minutes to replace when you have the clutch off. The only problem with doing all this is you need the puller to pull the clutch and the other tool to disassemble the clutch to replace the buttons.

Anyway, I hope this has helped.

Greg