Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

help, losing power!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, losing power!

Alright so I was desperate to ride and I forgot that I had left the outerwear slip on off of my stock paper filter and went riding yesterday in somewhat dusty conditions (stupid I know, but when a guy has to ride he has to ride)....not just straight dust but dust here and there. All of the sudden on the way home I just started losing power, like it didn't seem near as fast. I know the stock filter was very dirty so today I removed it and rode it (very little, i was safe) to see if that was what was causing the power loss, and although it was faster i still dont think it was 100%. There is a slight knocking coming from inside the pvt cover and I havent got a chance to check it yet but I will very soon. Only thing I can think of having anything to do with it at all is right before I lost power I jumped a log pretty hard, dont know what that could have done, but possibly something. It's running fine but it has bad throttle response and accelleration and not near as much top end. Help me out guys, this is worrying me to death. Also can someone tell me how to check and change hug fluid? Thanks for the help guys, i'd be lost without it.

Old 07-25-2004, 08:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I am not surprised that it had bad acceleration and throttle response with the air filter off. The scrammy has a CV carb, which needs vaccum to open the slide. With no filter, you greatly reduce the vaccum, thus causing the carb to not function properly. And a dirty filter will definately cause a lose in power. That "knocking" in the PVT is most likey the buttons in the primary clutch. Most Polaris machine shave this sound. To change the hub fluid, pull the black cap off the end of the hub to drain the fluid, and remove the allen head set screw to get all the old fluid out. Then, put the cap back on. Turn the hub so that the set screw hole is up. Fill it with Polaris hub fluid, ATF Type F, or Mobil 1 synthetic ATF (I have found this to work better than the ATF type F) Rotate the hub so that the hole is at the 4:00. You will know when you have the proper amount of fluid in there when it starts to leak out at the 4:00 position. Then just put the set screw back in.

Old 07-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It might be a fluke that the air filter has anything to do with the power loss. If you do alot of jumping on the Scrammy then you might have broken a ramp button. The Polaris stock ramp buttons can not hold up to the jumping that I see alot of people doing. I have seen this problem tons of times. You will not have the top speed that you had nor the accelleration. Also alot of people complain that it sounds like the motor knocks but you also have to replace the guide buttons on the primary. 90% of the knocking is the guide buttons. The guide buttons help take up the slace between the clutch and the guide but when the buttons wear down it will knock. Not that this has anything to do with your problem but alot of people look past these buttons and never replace them. I do think your problem is with the secondary buttons.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks a lot for the help guys...I'm in the process of ordering a new air filter and getting ready to go out and change the hub fluid and take a look at the clutching. 2manytoys you mentioned the ramping buttons being broke....how can I check them out? This sounds like it could be a possibility because when I hit that log it made a bad noise, at the time I just thought it was the bottom of one of the a arms skidding over the log, but maybe it could have been a ramping button breaking. And just how bad is the power loss with a dirty air filter? because the scram is pretty low on power right now. Thanks again guys!

Old 07-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

bump