Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

siezed engine on scrambler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default siezed engine on scrambler?

I have a scrambler that I am going to attempt to fix. The kid was riding it and all of a sudden it died and now it just clicks when you hit the starter button. when you pull the backup rope to try to start it, it wont turn the engine and the rope has oil on it. Does this mean that the engine is siezed or what? Any help would be great. Also, will I be able to fix this in 2 days?

Old 07-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

What year and engine (400 or 500)?

Old 07-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Range Rover

it is a 98 scrambler 400 4x4

Old 07-25-2004, 11:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Did it do anything before it died? Any noises or anything? The starter clicking sounds more like the worn or corroded brushes in the starter. The oil (most likely water) on the rope would indicate that there is or was water in the recoil housing and it was not drained. Probably causing the starter brushes to go. I would pull the head off and see if you can push the piston down. If not, then it may be time for a new top end. If that is the case, then I doubt that you will have it going in 2 days

Old 07-25-2004, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

is that a pretty easy fix? How much do you think that will cost to do? And how long do you think it will take?

Old 07-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

A top end isnt that hard to do. New Wiesco piston is around $100. You won't know the condition of the cylinder until you pull the head off. It may need to be bored over, or at least honed. It shouldn't take that long if you have a shop that can do that, otherwise you will need to send it out. Doing the top end should only take a few hours once you have all the parts. Rick Ritter from RCR can get you the parts.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Range Rover

so it can be done in two days then. As long as the cylinder isn't in too bad of condition. So when I tear it apart, what all am I going to be looking for? scratches and stuff like that?

Old 07-26-2004, 12:04 AM
Range Rover

also, what do you think it means that there was oil on the pull starter rope?

Old 07-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, if you have the parts and the cylinder is still good, then it can be done in 2 days IF all it needs is a new top end. The cylinder should still be honed though. But, if the cylinder needs to be bored, then that will take longer. the cylinder walls should be smooth. Ideally, you would like to see the cross hatch marks. But any scratches or grooves are BAD.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: wildwildweb16
also, what do you think it means that there was oil on the pull starter rope?
Did it do anything before it died? Any noises or anything? The starter clicking sounds more like the worn or corroded brushes in the starter. The oil (most likely water) on the rope would indicate that there is or was water in the recoil housing and it was not drained. Probably causing the starter brushes to go. I would pull the head off and see if you can push the piston down. If not, then it may be time for a new top end. If that is the case, then I doubt that you will have it going in 2 days
Sorry, I edited my post while you were posting[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: siezed engine on scrambler?