Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need help with a 99 sport 400 popping sound from tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with a 99 sport 400 popping sound from tranny?

need help.

I just replaced the chain and sprokets and i still have a popping sound. Im guessing its the silent chain in the gear box. What else should i check before taking this thing all apart? Im going to start it today.

I did trouble shoot it. Replaced the sprockets and chain, and marked the 13t front gear and the shaft to see if it moves. It doesnt.

My big question is can i do this myself? What special tools do I need? What do I replace when i get the gear box out? Do i need a special clutch puller or alignment tool?

Please help with this. This is the second week in a row i cant ride. Is this a job a dealer should do? How much are we talking to do it at a dealer or to do it my self?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 08-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

The tranny is not that hard to do, but I would first suggest a Service Manual before attempting the job. You are going to need a puller to get the Primary clutch off, and sometimes the Secondary clutch will need a puller too (usually they don't)

If you decide to go into it yourself - I would make sure that the Reverse gear needle bearing is changed out while in there, and inspect all of the the other bearings for any sign of looseness or rough feeling.

One last word of advice - if you replace any of the roller bearings inside the tranny, and feel that Polaris wants too much for theirs - you can get bearings at a bearing supply to fit - - but, try to stay away from Chinese made bearings - remember, you get what you pay for, and a cheap bearing is not going to last as long as a quality bearing.

Old 08-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Range Rover

Thanks quad wrench. Im going to start tearing it down in about an hour. Any suggestions on what it could be in the gear case? I know about the chain but should i replace the gears, chain bearings, exc.?

And what do you think caused all this? I bought this quad used last year so im not sure how it was taken care of. It was a repo.

Thanks again for the help.

Bob