Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Throttle sticking a little. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle sticking a little. What to look for?

Yet another problem for me to fix on my 97 400L sport. The belt issues, poping in the rear is all gone thanks to you guys. I rode it for a few hours yesterday with the big boys, a new BF, new 700EFI, 03 Prarie 650, 04 Griz 660, and a suzuki 400. Needless to say the two sport quads were covered in mud from head to toe. I made it through most of the deeper water and mud, thanks to the weight of the polaris and the mud lights on back. The suzuki whad to be pulled through some ruts and helped up some hills. He had hole shots tires on. So he was useless in the mud.

After a few hours of riding I noticed my throttle sticking down low. I was curious if someone had this happen to them and what I should look for? While running I can give it gas. It feels a little weard. When I let off it goes back to idle, sometime slowly. When not running it totaly sticks about 1/4 the way in. The thumb lever returns to idle position but the cable is not at idle. I can push the lever forward and their is play in it until it reaches the stuck area. When I start it. The bike revs. and then returns to idle. What gives.

This made it very difficult to climb hills that were ment for 4x4's. ANy help will be great.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Well I thought I had this all fixed last week. I opened the throttle lever box. I sprayed lube down the cable. It worked for a week. I went out for a ride today and, it stuck on me again.

Now for you guys with these older quads. Have you had any problems like this? I just don't know if it is the cable or if it is the carb? The cable feels free. Whats the deal?

Old 09-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It could be the cable up near the box needs lube, or down near the oil injector, or near the carb. The slide in the carb might not be free either(have had this happen to me), or your cable could just be pinched somewhere.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

it happened to me i hit the neighbors house at about 40mph...but it was the cable so i replaced it...i also got 2 bent rims a broken fender 9 stitches in my hand and a huge bruise on my liver...so you might want to get that fixed before to long....oh yea and a few bruised ribs...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

WOW. YOu were lucky. It could have been much worse at around 40mph. For some reason mine only sticks about 1/4 throttle. not full or half. Only down low. Luck for me I guess. I don't want to be on it regardless now that it sticks again. I don't want to be on the seat when it decides to stick at full throttle.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the oil pump cover off and clean it out then lube it up in there.If that dont help best put on a new cable.

Old 09-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

I looked at that part I think. Is that the black plastic/rubber boot on top of the carb that has a few lines going into it? How exactly does it come appart. I don't want to break it.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

No, the oil injector system is down near the exhaust port, your cable should break away into two parts, one going to the carb, the other going down to the exhaust port area.

Old 09-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

Yeh, get the throttle fixed soon. Mine hung open and as many of you know, I almost died. Hit a tree running about 60, atv came out great, but not me. Hospital 2 months $250,000 hospital bill, skull fracture, broke helment, broke nose, broke sinuses, 3 ribs broke, collapsed lung, ruptured colon, etc, etc..... So, fixing a stuck throttle is a big do it now before it is too late. If the cable is factory, replace it, it is too old, worn out and probably stretched, kinked, rusted, etc. My throttle was hanging due to the spring sticking in the inside of the carb on top ofthe slide, but only at full throttle, so, that carb is replaced by a 39mm PWK now. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

How are ya feelin now NC?

Quick Reply: Throttle sticking a little. What to look for?