Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

whats the reason??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the reason??

more than what other quads?? More than the sportsman, probably because it is more performance, and has more clearences and stuff that makes it need changed......but it is the same as the 450r and the yfz....Like Hozed said, he changes his oil more often than 10hrs, so do I....and he is talking about his yfz I'm sure......so keep in mind that other performance quads are alike.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
You change your oil that often, like Rick said, because your gearbox and engine are all in the same oil compartment......You want to change it, to get any gear/clutch fines out, that might accidentally get in there.
I would also say, not for sure though, that the synthetics will probably break down quicker than other oil too. It is a performance quad, be prepared to work on it. If you can afford a 6k quad, what is 20 bucks for taking good care of it. Take good care of it, and it will take good care of you.
Huh? Exactly the oppsite. Synthetics DON'T break down. That's one of the primary reasons they are so much better.

Old 09-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

sorry sir.....didn't mean to give bad info....no more from me.....just change your oil as you wish, it says 10 hrs, if you feel rebelish, do it at 100hrs.

Old 09-10-2004, 01:40 AM
Trailblazer

Oil changing is a racket between the car/engine makers and the oil companies. I never change oil in anything, and have only had one failed engine. It was due to a leakie head gasket, not bad oil.
If you change your filter regular, and don't over heat or get water or other non oil liquids in it, it is still oil.
I have 100 thousand miles on a blazer with the same oil in it as when I bought it.
just my 2 penney's worth !

Old 09-10-2004, 01:51 AM
EAB
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MoosEye
Oil changing is a racket between the car/engine makers and the oil companies. I never change oil in anything, and have only had one failed engine. It was due to a leakie head gasket, not bad oil.
If you change your filter regular, and don't over heat or get water or other non oil liquids in it, it is still oil.
I have 100 thousand miles on a blazer with the same oil in it as when I bought it.

I call BS on this one
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
EAB: ASE Certified Master Technicion

Old 09-10-2004, 02:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: EAB
Originally posted by: MoosEye

I call BS on this one
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
EAB: ASE Certified Master Technicion
Ditto. Oil WILL break down over time, changing your filter will NOT change that. Heat and friction are the enemies. Both of which are present in an internal combustion engine. I bet that oil in your Blazer is sludge by now. Wonder how the internals of that motor look??? EWWW

Old 09-10-2004, 02:16 AM
RIP Dear Friend

I love my oil[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] used and clean preferably synthetic in the catch pan, but your quad don't have kidneys.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

What would cause you to never want/think that you don't have to ever change your oil. I guess I was just brought up wrong, and I was always taught to treat the machine like you want it to treat you, and to take the best care of what you have. If I knew that someone never changed the oil in there vehicle, or quad, I wouldn't want to buy it.....so if you don't change your oil, and ever sell your machines, be sure to let the buyer know. I mean if its right, you shouldn't feel shamed in saying it, right??

Old 09-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Trailblazer

I would say you hit the nail on the head. It is the way we are brought up. It has been drilled into our heads since we knew what oil was that you have to change it all the time. If you had been taught that you don't have to change it, you would be saying right the opposite. I was backed up on my thinking by a highly educated engineer. Of course, if you want to go on throwing away perfectly good motor oil that is your prerogative.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not that this means anything much more, but I am one of those engineers right now. I am currently going to college(one of the top universities for engineering) for mechanical engineering. I am on my 3rd year here, and I too have a pretty good idea of what to do with oil. From my studies, we have shown that it is better for the engine to have fresh oil in it by every 3k miles, or about 4 months.....which ever comes first. Another thing to consider, we live in a part of the country where it get cold in half the year, so the oil takes on moisture during this time.....thus, I would want to change it. Your oil has to get some moisture in it too, all oil does.....so what do you do about that??

You are right about the being brought up thing, but that is with everything....so, what's the fun in using that excuse??

Quick Reply: whats the reason??