Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

woohoo i sunk her!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woohoo i sunk her!!

hehe the title says it all....i was following a kid on a 500 scrammy 4x4 through a river about 6 inches deep(i usually get through it fine) and he was going fine in 2wd (i thought) and i was driving like 6 inches to the right of his path so i wasnt in

the same one and i guess i was just far enough over to hit some sort of underwater ditch because first my front end went under and then it came out as my back end went in. my front end came out quick enough that no water entered my airbox but i had water flowing over my seat....i was at that much of an incline...it was crazy.

so i got pulled out and i let it idle for a bit to make sure it was ok and then i started rippin around on it and everything was fine.

about 40 mins later i was going through a field heading back to the truck and it started acting up like something in the carb was sticking because the gas would be real weird.....i'd press it, then it'd bog down then just take off...or i'd just barely press it and it go to like 4,000 rpms.....it was also idling at a steady 2000 untill i gave it a litttle gas then it would come down.

i dont know. im going to take it apart next weekend and check everything ouit.

also i dont get it how i can still be running rich....i have a 250 main, 27.5 pilot and my clip is 2nd notch from the top but i have an AAEN torquer pipe and a KN filter with outerwear.

anyway thanks for reading the story and im gonna be putting up some new pics too.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

alright as soon as the mods approve of them the new pics are up.... these are before i sunk it.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

One of the first things you should check are the Air box..Then the Oil to see if it is contaminated ...then drain the carb . If you bog out in water you should do all these things out on the trail to avoid any potential problems. I have drowned my wheeler out a few times and now I always carry enough oil to let me drain the contaminated oil and limp home. After I have drained the carb...removed the plug to get water out of the chamber and drained the air box. Once it is back home I flush the oil until there is no contaminants in it.

PINKMOON

Old 10-03-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

thats the thing tho....i never shut it off.....i just put it in neutral and kept it running until they got the rope to pull me out.

Old 10-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

Yamma,

Do you have a factory snorkel on your rig? You might have soaked the filter material or turned the dust on it into mud which is blocking your air flow. This happened to me last week. I have a layer of filter foam for additional filtering and this was just clogged up; moved the snorkel and the sock so they were above this pre-filter layer, and all the power was back. It was running fine until I jammed on the throttle, then it would bog out. also ran fine without the snorkel. Never really thought about dust turning to mud on the filter foam surface.

Good luck sorting this out.

Old 10-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

oo yeah i guess it was a little damp but i didnt think it would matter....maybe it did ill check it next weekend.

Old 10-03-2004, 10:51 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drop down to a 240 main jet ,Go back to the center notch and a stock pilot jet.I ran the same setup us you on my 400 Sportsman and it was still a little rich. How loud is that FMF silencer?

Trending Topics

Old 10-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

the FMF isnt too loud....i mean it gives it a throatier, deeper sound when u use it with the stock pipe but ever since i switched to the AAEN pipe thats all i hear so the FMF isnt too loud.

Old 10-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

fmf silencers rock mine is very quiet...

Old 10-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

240 main? i don't know if the 99 uses a different pipe than mine or i'm pushing more air than slamma is but i'm runnin a 260 main and 38 pilot. it's a little rich on the bottom but perfect on top. just wonderin. oh yeah, I'm sea level around here too.

steve

Quick Reply: woohoo i sunk her!!