Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new guy with old problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 12:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy with old problem

A bud of mine just turned me on to your site....spent most of last evening reading posts....great stuff.
I am the proud owner of an 01 325 Trailboss. the machine is not real fast but it is very comfortable for this 6"2 300 pound old man. I do have one complaint about this machine and that is it will not climb a long hill, dosn't seem to back shift. the machine just bogs out. Once at a stop it will burry the rear tires and not continue to climb. On flat ground it will spin the rears on launch and slide through corners with ease but hill just kill it. i am considering doing some clutch work such as changing springs and belt. Could the belt allingment cause this bogging condition?

Bullwnkl.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums. I would recommend that you give Rick Ritter @ RCR a call and have him put a clutch kit together for your needs and riding style. Rick is top notch and will only sell you what you need.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

The clutch and springs could help, but I would suggest a belt. Have you had this ATV since new? Did it pull all the way up the hills before? Considering your size, it will bog the machine some. It all depends on the type of hill your are climbing. I'm not familiar with the trail boss, but does it have high and low gears or does it have a shifter and a 5 speed or something like that?

Old 11-01-2004, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider

I would think a clutch kit would take care of the problem within reason, it is an underpowered machine. Give Rick a call is your best bet for setting it up right, also do a search on your machine.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:54 AM
vig
Range Rover

A clutch kit kit will help< I had a 98 trailboss with the 250 and it was the same way, bog down on long hills put a clutch kit in and it made a big difference. The only problem was it wouldnt shift up as quick on the straight aways.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:45 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I'm going with a combination of both. Changing clutch springs will help, but if it's not shifting out, to me it would be more of a belt issue. Talk to Rick, and I'll bet he'll suggest changing both. Be sure you call Rick, he gets way to busy to answer e-mails.

Old 11-01-2004, 03:10 PM

the clutch has a lot of weight on it so it will bog at time will the quad do this is it is farly cool like just warmed up

Old 11-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks for all the replys guys, I have decided to contact RCR since Rick comes so highly recomended. To answer a few questions and ask a few more here goes: First I bought the machine from a fellow who is considerably smaller than me, he also had the same bogging down problem...I found this out after I bought it. The motor runs great pulls hard on flat ground Tops out at 48mph by my Garmin GPS. When I bought the machine it had less than ten hours on it, I believe this is true as it was in like new condition not a sctatch and 0 wear on the tires. I think if the clutch would back shift on hills it would do just fine. I am also cosidering spending some money on this rig...pipe, muffler, clutch set up to begin with. If I am not satisified then a 414 kit and a Mikuni VM carb. I might just say the heck with it and go for a Scrambler 500. My riding is all at less than 1000 ft above sea level and mostly on logging roads and a few trails. I find that on fast roads the trailboss will turn inside of my friends Hondas es250's. I like it that my machine slides well and does not wheelie but more power is really needed. I would love to have the Trailboss with a 500 motor. I am new to quads but have ridden 3 wheelers(Honda 250X) for many years and dirt bikes for nearly 40 years.
thanks again guys.

Old 11-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, give Rick a call. He has what you need.

Old 11-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gave Rick a call, very nice person to deal with. I think my Visa card is going to be working overtime. ordered some primary clutch springs, carb jets and other stuff. will probably do the 414 big bore a little later this winter. once I learn more about clutch tuning. Rick has thus far talked me out of going with a Mikuni VM carb. may have mine bored out a milimeter or so. I have this bad habit of running what every one else dosen't. I drive a Ford in Chevy country. Ride a Yamaha where all my buds drive Harleys, and kick their butts.

Bullwnkl

Quick Reply: new guy with old problem