Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

KTM rear shock spring on Pred

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 10:43 AM
916 Reaper - Pure Evil Inside!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KTM rear shock spring on Pred

I just put a KTM PDS-6 rear shock spring on my 03 pred and man what a difference!! I set the sag on the bike and it is night and day. The stock shock spring was not working for me, I am ~270#'s all geared up. With the stock spring the ride was very choppy and rough, now with the KTM PDS-6 spring, the front/rear sag set correctly, the suspension rocks now. It soaks up the ruts and rough stuff a lot nicer, and I do not feel like I'm gonna get kicked off. Now I am just fine tuning the damp/rebound. I was looking at dishing out mucho $$ to get new springs, but now I am very happy with the KTM spring and saved mucho $$ in the end. So, if you are a large pred rider that is not happy with the stock rear and do not have the $$ for a mega suspension, I highly recommend the KTM and setting the sag correctly. If you are large and jump go with the KTM PDS-7.

I put some pics in my gallery, so when the mods approve, check them out!

Thanks Chris

Old 11-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much was the spring?
And where can I pick one up?

Old 11-25-2004, 01:01 PM

Here!

I did not get mine from there, but it gives you a start and lists the rates for the springs. It is actually made by a company called WP (White Power). I picked mine up at the local KTM dirtbike shop here (this is a spring from a dirtbike). I am not sure about the other listing, as I was only recommended the PDS-6 and 7, and went with the 6 since they did not have the 7.

Thanks Chris

Old 11-25-2004, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

thank you I will look into that. Are the OD openings at the top and bottom the same as the factory pred spring or are they different and are the pds numbers to represent what weight the rider is? or does it not matter and we only have those two options for the pred?
thanks again.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:31 PM

The KTM springs are about 1/8" bigger in diameter at the ends, but sits fine on the spring retainer. I am not sure about the the other springs, whether or not they will fit. Might have to go back to KTM and ask to see the other springs, and check if they are the same size. If they are the same size than that will give you the ability to have 8 different spring rates. The PDS is the type of springs (Progressive Damping?? Springs). and the numbers designate the different rates.

Thanks Chris

Old 11-25-2004, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks chris I think this is a very good find instead of spending mucho dollars on shock set-ups good job>>>>>>>>>>>.

Old 11-25-2004, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

yes...thanks now we just need something for the front springs..... goto work LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 11-26-2004, 12:55 AM

No problem. I go the info from another site, went and tried it and thought I would share my results. When you set the sag it was stated to use 6" for this spring.

Thanks Chris

Old 11-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

what do you mean by 6" for setting the sag? also any info you can get for a front spring swap out would be great!

Old 11-26-2004, 10:13 AM

The 6" comes from measuring the axle to the frame with the rear of the bike lifted off the ground (1). Then with all you gear on sit on the quad and have someone else measure the 2 points again (2). Then subtract 2 from 1 and adjust unitl it is ~6" when you sit on it with all your gear. I went out today and rode to make some fine tuning and mine ended up around 5.25" when all was said and done. This is what was instructed and what I did, and so far it is working well for me. I am really pleased with the handleing with this spring and the set up. I know nothing on the front. After setting up the sag on the front I am happy with it. Might just get the Fox rezzies for the front and call it a day. I knew nothing about setting up "sag" until I started talking to some friends that ride dirtbikes about how choppy and rough the pred handled, and they clued me in on "sag" and after setting up the suspension to me I am very happy.

Thanks Chris

Quick Reply: KTM rear shock spring on Pred