Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dirt Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt Wheels

I've benn John Kerry-ing (flip flopping) over which to buy next and did many searches on this site as to which quad best suits my needs.

Predator TLD or Raptor 660r.

I got my new Dirt Wheels today and they had a shootout between them for trail riding!

How perfect!?

Its been my opinion that D.W. had been Yamaha biased..until recently..the Rappy 35o lost to the 300 ex...(sort Of)

Banshee (kinda) lost to the Bombardier in the dunes review

Raptor 660r (somewhat) lost to the TLD Pred.

Is it me or is D.W. having problems picking clear cut winners in the sport shoot outs?

I guess you gotta keep the advertisors happy!

If alls I ride is trails can anyone sell me on the Raptor 660r?

I've rode a modified one and also a stock..to tall for me..but never been on a Predator..

Old 11-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Wheels

since they are about evenly matched, I would go for the Predator because of weight and steering....remember, it has a 500cc motor compared to the Raptors 660....that should tell you some advantage to the Predator....

I have a friend that had a Raptor, I know he is selling it, but may go to the YFZ450 or Predator...hasn't decided yet...

but since I haven't ridden the Raptor, only the Predator, I'm biased....your best bet would be to take some test rides, see what you think...

Old 11-26-2004, 09:36 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Wheels

I have rode both quads, and of course I own the Pred, that right there should tell all. The Predator hands down. But if I was you go and test ride both, to see what you like. I have nothing agaist the Raptor.....heck I think everyone should have one.......that way I would have the fastest quad on the earth!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]...lol..j/k

Old 11-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Wheels

id ride them both first, i have also, but im leaning more toward the pred. i love the powe on those things

Old 11-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer
Default Dirt Wheels

I sold my Raptor when my 03 TLD Predator arrived and have not regretted it at all. The Raptor was a smoother ride but could not handle the rough stuff as well. I am 6' 250lbs so the suspension gets a good workout. The narrow stance of the raptor made it seem tippy, the Pred sticks to the ground almost too well. The Predator is also quite a bit cheaper (atleast here in Canada) plus it comes with better tires, axle, rebuildable shocks etc. Both Quads have had reports of Tranny Problems but I exprienced none on either Quad although the Raptor was poor shifting untill I installed a Roll Design direct shifter. The Predator is sometimes hard to find neutral. Pred seat positioning is not great but reports say that has been somewhat fixed on 05s.

They are both good quads and you will be happy with either , but I think the Pred is a better deal.

Just my $.02
Brad

03 TLD 500
HMF Exhaust
White Bros CDI
Boondocker Nitrous (for when the Rappys wanna call)

Old 11-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Range Rover
Default Dirt Wheels

get the predator

Old 11-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Wheels

Originally posted by: heatseeker8

Is it me or is D.W. having problems picking clear cut winners in the sport shoot outs?
Dirt Wheels flip flops more than Kerry. They compared the Banshee, Raptor, and YFZ in a strictly Yamaha dune shootout and the Banshee won. Later they added other manufacturer's models and now The Banshee comes out behind Raptor and YFZ.
The flip/flopping is not near as troubling to me as all the flat out errors in their tests. I don't think anyone proof reads anything. If they do have proof readers, they sure don't check for anything more than spelling. The DW writers don't know anymore about the quads than the salesmen at the friendly local dealer and that's not much.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default Dirt Wheels

raptors are powerful and everything but from personal experience stay away form yamaha. they dont stan behind there products. get a predator and rip it up.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Wheels

Ohh Lord!

got my TLD Pred. and took it out on the trails yesterday in the snow..talk about torquey!

Amazing!

Suspension is second to none..and Dirt wheels is full of **** when they say the gap between 4th and 5 th is to long..

with the DOHC you cant even tell..besides who the hell uses 5th on the trails anyways?

Old 12-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Dirt Wheels

Though both the regular Pred and the TLD have some nice upgrades, there isn't a better sport quad on the market today which offers the bang for the buck, and out of the box versatility of the 05 TLD. The trans and suspension are now perfect. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] No need to go running to Elka or anyone else, the TLD suspension is perfect. Did I say, the TLD suspension is perfect? Yup....... Go ride one, you'll keep repeating yourself too.

Quick Reply: Dirt Wheels