Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2 New Models - Possibly worst ever?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2000, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some of you may already know, the Polaris Diesel 455 won't be around much longer. Polaris has made the choice to sell out of it's current inventory and no longer carry the model. Their reasons were that while it was a good model, it just was too slow, heavy, and expensive for it's average buyer.

However, Polaris has 2 new Diesel models coming out soon. They will be unveiled at the dealer meeting coming up soon in Reno. While I think it's the worst idea Polaris has had, they seem to think they will be hot sellers.

One of them is a kids model. The Diesel Rex (Rex comes from the new Polaris kid's cartoon "superhero"). It looks the same as the Sportsman 90, but it's blue. However, it's not made by Aeon like the other youth models. This one will be made in Minnesota. It has a 90cc 4-stroke diesel motor. It's electric start with no back-up start. It shares the fenders & seat of the Sportsman 90, but it uses metal racks rated slightly higher and comes with a small tow-hitch for little wagons maybe, but no real trailers.

Basically, Polaris made it for ranchers who want their kids involved in ATVing or ranching, but don't want to ride double or use a Ranger/truck/etc. The Diesel is handy because it's already on ranches, and most ranchers like Diesel motors. And most ranchers don't want 2-strokes. This model isn't automatic, but auto-clutch with a low-1st gear, second gear, and over-drive 3rd.

The second model is also a bad idea. It's basically the Trail Blazer, with heavier springs, and the 455 Diesel motor. The catch? It's a turbo Diesel! Supposedly it's not as loud as the previous design, and actually moves pretty good. Once again, it's designed to have fun on ranches, but not to work and not really for jumping, just going fast.

That's all the details I have, they were faxed to me by the central Texas state rep for Polaris because I will be testing them out soon on a local cattle ranch. My connections with the local dealer paid off! (Maybe not!?)

I might be able to get pictures soon. Ask your dealers about them, and try to find out a price. He wouldn't tell me the price, because he said it will be set by dealers. Dealers should be getting their information tomorrow, and actually get to see them at the dealer show coming up.

What do you think? I think they will be the worst sellers ever!

Old 09-07-2000, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Tell me you are kidding!! If this is the best thing that Polaris has to spend its R&D budget on, they will not be the second highest atv seller long. Polaris can't make a brake pad that last over 6 months, yet this is what they spend their money developing. Polaris needs to leave the diesel market to John Deere and stick to real ATV's. A diesel kids model!!! That will take the cake.

Old 09-07-2000, 12:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That is just something that bashers will use to slam Polaris in the future. When somebody makes the mistake of saying the word innovation, somebody else is going to let loose with these new and innovative ideas here. If and when this happens, I don't think I would have a positive thing to say about the two diesels you speak of. I'm with you. Dumb ideas.

Old 09-07-2000, 12:41 AM
Range Rover

Hey guys,
I know its off the wall, but I give Polaris credit for expiermenting, What if it turns out to be the latest atv craze, say like belt drive, that no one would ever want! Just a thought.

-Jared

Old 09-07-2000, 12:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Pretty cool hey?? Now Polaris is getting bashed by a Polaris owner!! Seems to me they thought Henry Ford and the Wright Brothers were nuts too!

Remember 1 thing.......opinions are like A-holes, everybody's got 1!!

By the way, who'd want a diesel engine in a truck????

Old 09-07-2000, 07:20 AM
Trailblazer

B. S.

Old 09-07-2000, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

Diesel kids model...I don't know. I live on a farm and for utility use the diesel was intriguing, but too slow. No one wanted an atv that couldn't keep up with a cow. Now a diesel with pep...if it holds up, may show promise. For farm use it might be OK. For farm use diesel is cheap (fuel the same but about 30 cents less tax on it), mileage would go way up, in theory at least, and many farmers are going diesel in everything except their car. I would have one more suggestion. Make the 6x6 or ranger a diesel, but give it enough oomph to do some work and then you might have something. I can see why the current diesel is a slow seller. Who wants a Sportsman that goes 0 to 30 in a quarter mile & tops out between 35 & 40? But a 6x6 that could pull/haul a heavy load...that's where my money would be...and the extra weight to make the diesel big enough to put out some HP would be easier to absorb...now you got me thinking.

Old 09-07-2000, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Face it Polaris makes the best diesel ATV's on the market . They make damn good motorcycles, snowmobiles and watercrafts. They sell go-carts and a small dirt bike. If they start selling po-go sticks I bet it will be one of the best.

Old 09-07-2000, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Polaris is a very succesful company, they must know what they are doing to have come this far. The kids market is a good market, get them while they are young as we all know people are HUGELY brand loyal.

Old 09-07-2000, 02:10 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

And to think they alsodropped the 400 Scrambler....what else are they thinking?

Quick Reply: 2 New Models - Possibly worst ever?