Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Diesel

Considering that the utility ATV's are often used as work machines.........anyone think we'll see a diesel ATV someday???

Bob

Old 12-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sportsman Diesel

Already have. There's a fellow member on here who has one. I'm sure he'll be along to post a response soon. I think he's in England so he might be sleeping now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Look here: Polaris Diesel

Old 12-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Sportsman Diesel

Polaris produced a Diesel in 1999. it was offered in a Sportsman. it was VERY loud (much louder than a normal tractor diesel), VERY underpowered (globs of torque but no 0-30MPH get-up-and-go), very slow (wasn't built to be fast anyway)......but i liked it. in fact, if my local dealer hadn't demo'd the heck out of it, i would have bought one for kicks. they towed trailers around the yard and beat-up the fenders bad.

it was offered in a nice shade of blue. no metalic crap like you see in the new blue offered.

if Polaris was to offer one again, i'd try one for sure. just because!

also, it had a difficult time starting in the cold (didn't have pre-start glow- plugs)

-MT

Old 12-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Range Rover
Default Sportsman Diesel

Deisels are hard to start at cold temperatures// the last thing i would want is 4 my quad to gel up while im out on the trail// but im sure they would have ballz

Old 12-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Range Rover
Default Sportsman Diesel

If your going to get a 4X4 get one with EFI.

Very realiable. I have EFI and I cant imagine ever having a carb again.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sportsman Diesel

The diesel would only be good for work...slow work. Mtpockets, I think that's the exact reason Polaris made a Sportsman Diesel...just because!

Old 12-04-2004, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sportsman Diesel

The diesel was brought out by Polaris because Farmers and Ranchers wanted all there vehicles to run on the same fuel. But it was very heavy and needed two batteries to start it. The idea sadly never caught on. I would have taken a serious look at one as I am sure it would of offered excellent fuel economy and would of been a killer machine pulling a meat wagon. This is important to us who go back 30 miles or so on extended hunting trips as we have to carry alll the fuel we need for 7-10 days.

Old 12-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Sportsman Diesel

just for kicks i had my local dealer do a locate to see if any NEW '99 Diesels are still out there in dealer's inventory...........and guess what?! they found 2!!

one in PA and one in MN

they called the dealer in PA. they had 2 in '99. one they sold to some guy in Holland and the other was STOLLEN! (go figure, steal a Diesel Polaris! LOL) they figure the stollen one was still showing on the locator.

the MN dealer didn't ans the phone. my dealer will try them on Monday. i wonder if they would still have a left-over from 5 years ago?

Hmmmmmmm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sportsman Diesel

Ok, well here is from somone who actually owns one. this is my second i am putting some work into. Sold my first. Ok, now i live in ontario canada, and let me tell you, the block heater on these guys works great, and has started in -35 degree weather WITHOUT any problems, as long as it was plugged in. This one i have now is from a mine up in timmins. They used it to pull up equipment from underground that needed repair. So these things will out haul anything, period!!!! they have a tonne of traction from the extra weight and ofcourse being diesel. Going up hill with all that torque and low end grunt, try and keep up as they don't spin as most do and loose traction. They go anywhere and beyond where alot of the current ATV's do. As for the noise, yes they are a diesel, but i am unfamiliar with all the talk about being louder than full size trucks, come on now! They aren't even close to that. They are not so popular as i beleive due to they are not crotch rockets by any means, but here where i ride you do not want to be going faster than 40 (which is what i get with mine with a small bit of tinkering, nothing extreme). Also fuel consumption, well someone on here mentioned, yes they go a long long long time on a tank. Ok , now also, there are some negatives, one is when you do ride, it is a diesel so i ride in the back of the pack as the fumes are lingering when sitting around or riding down the trail. They do not have a tonne of get up and go, not a sweet sounding machine, and lastly and my biggest problems is although very reliable, when you need to replace parts, they are expensive!!! VERY. Its a good thing that they do not need replacing very often if at all for alot of the parts. I hope that helps a bit on the light of the diesels. I love mine and not for everyone, but those that aren't in need of alot of speed, and need some work done with a bit of fun as well, these machines are hard to beat!

Old 12-14-2004, 02:43 PM
916 Reaper - Pure Evil Inside!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sportsman Diesel

The dealer here has a couple of diesels on the showroom floor. Nice yellow ones. Not sure what year they are, never asked.

Thanks Chris

Quick Reply: Sportsman Diesel