Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Plow skids

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plow skids

In SW PA where I live last year we had over 18" last year this time, and 15" the year before.....

My Brother lives in Western KY and they got 8 -12 inches between yesterday and today. In fact he had to rig a plow up to his RamCharger by welding a plow he got a the boneyard to a Plow frame that was frome a big V-Plow that was to heavy for his Ram Charger ....
I am telling you it is all my fault

Old 01-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plow skids

Plow gaurds? What would be a cheap effective material?
I've heard bed-liner plastic cut into 3" wide strip bolted to the bottom of the blade,
or some type of automotive tire belt rubber works well, if you can get someone to cut it.

I've got a 175' X 10' black-top driveway and I don't want to tear it up . . . . as well as
protect my blade.

2005 AC 500 auto w/ Polaris Glasier Plow,
2002 Seadoo GTi
2001 Seadoo GTS

Old 01-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default Plow skids

Originally posted by: ZMan079
Well I finally broke down and bought a plow (Warn 60") for my 700 SP, I was searching through this and several other forums today and could not find any insome info on how to set the skids on the plow

I will be mostly plowing gravel driveways, but on occasion I will be plowing conrete or blacktop, and also cleaning up the driveway along the edge of a blacktop road that always get plowed shut by the municipal plow truck. It was not real clear in the directions on how high or low to set the skids, Any Ideas????

In addition, the plow tube (frame) came with a little ******-block type pulley to route the winch cable thrrough instead of hooking it with the J-hook. Does anybody use this set up, and if you do where do you hook the end of your cable with the hook. I tried on the rack, but I don't want to put stress on the rack, and alo it rubs the cable against the body plastic and tube bumpers. I tried a soft wrap tiied around the tube bumper, but it was to long and the hook kept getting pulled into the pulley. I thought about hooking up one of those Front Pulling Systems
that Cabela's sells. to the top tube on the front bumper. Any other ideas???

Thanks,
ZMan079
Hey ZMan,

I have a gravel driveway and set the skids on mine just high enough so the blade doesn't pick up any gravel. Obviously, it depends on the size of gravel on the driveways you are clearing. Once you have some packed snow on the driveways you can raise the skids a bit.
You shouldn't need the ****** pully.

Happy plowing!

Old 01-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default Plow skids

[quote]
Originally posted by: 500CatRider
Plow gaurds? What would be a cheap effective material?
I've heard bed-liner plastic cut into 3" wide strip bolted to the bottom of the blade,
or some type of automotive tire belt rubber works well, if you can get someone to cut it.

It depends on your definition of "cheap." About the cheapest I've seen online was $15 per linear foot. If you do a Google search for "rubber cutting edge" you'll find a host of suppliers. I don't know of, nor have I seen, anyone making a rubber edge specifically for an ATV blade. They're made for truck and road grader blades, which is what mine was intended for. I modified it to work with my Warn blade and it works great. If you had to pay between $60 - $100 and it lasted four or more years, as mine has done, compare that to the cost of replacing skids, steel cutting edges, etc. It's probably cheaper. I'll tell you this, it's definitely much quieter. No metal to surface scraping sounds.

As far as an alternative, I don't believe the truck bedliner material would be tough enough. I have an idea you'd wear that stuff down in minutes. I suppose if you cut a rubber tire into a strip you could bolt it to the bottom, providing you got the edge straight enough. A sawzall would cut it without any problem. I don't know anything about the neoprene edges. I know neoprene is pretty tough, but whether it would last as long as a hard rubber compound, I'm not sure.

Old 01-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Range Rover
Default Plow skids

Got a chance to do some serious plowing over the weekend (12 + inches). I used the cardbord trick that mistertinker suggested, and it worked like a charm, even in grass and alos on pavement. The 700 had no prob pushing it what soever. The only I need to do is get SnowRides Reverse Override kit instslled, it is a pain in the but having to monkey with the RO all of the time. all though by the time I finished the parking lot I had a little rythym going and got used to it. Which is typical with the Polaris way of doing things, they just become second nature after using them for a while.....

ZMan079

Old 01-26-2005, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plow skids

Thanx . . . . I'll take a look.
Do you recall what kind of modifications you needed to make?

2005 AC 500 auto w/ Glasier Plow
2002 Seadoo GTi
2001 Seadoo GTS