Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

To Much Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005 | 10:22 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default To Much Oil

My SP 500 is brand new. I have had it for about two months but have not riden it that much. I probably have less then 20 miles on it. I had it out today and thought I would check the oil. The dealership checked it and made sure all of the fluids were all set when I bought it. Well the oil was about 1/4 inch over the full line. I couldn't believe it so i moved it to a different location in case it was not level and it was the same. I drained out some of the oil. It didn't take much to drop it to the full line, I'm guessing only a few ounces or so. So much for trusting the dealership. Does anyone think I may have don damage to the engine??? I have not riden it hard, only around my yard and a couple trips on the paved road. Thanks for the help. BART

Old 01-02-2005 | 12:57 AM
Trailblazer
Default To Much Oil

As long as the oil doesn't reach the crankshaft, and turn the oil into froth, you're fine. Looks like with just a little over max, you were far from that point.
Hopefully you learned your lesson, and from now on, you'll check everything in your future new vehicles. I know I did, and every time I buy and check a new vehicle, at least something is not perfect. The most problems have been in my motorcycles, which just like quads, are recreational vehicles, and IMO, not subject to the QC of cars.
Happy new year.
JC

Old 01-02-2005 | 01:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default To Much Oil

Dont worry about it.....Polaris instructions say to put in 2 quarts when doing an oil change....when you do that, the oil level is about 1/4" above the full mark.....not a problem, thats where I put mine each time I change oil...

dave

Old 01-02-2005 | 10:24 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default To Much Oil

Thanks for the info. If I think about it i just changed the oil on my 400 and I had alittle oil left over in the 2 qts I used. I'm glad I didn't do any damage, I didn't think I did but just wanted a couple other opinions. I'm usually very good about checking the fluids but didn't do it when I bought it. Thanks again.

Old 01-02-2005 | 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default To Much Oil

Too much oil in a dry sump system is not a major proublem as the oil is taken from the resevoir and pumped through the motor as needed . there is proubably less than 1/2 a cup of oil in the engine at any given time