Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator Valve Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 02:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator Valve Adjustment

Hey guys I have a 03 Pred and I have had to adjust the valves about every 30 hours max. The problem is with the intake valves, they are the only ones that have gone out of adjustment after the first adjustment. Now I am down to the lowest shim that Polaris lists in their repair manual (140) and it needs to be adjusted again. Has anyone ran into this on theirs if so what did you end up doing to resolve this. My thought is that the valve is either stretching or the valve seat is sinking into the head?????? I was thinking about having the dealer take a look at it but I have talked to them and explained the situation to them and they just look at me like a deer in the headlights (kinda scary). Any help would be nice. Oh by the way every time it needs to be adjusted they are so tight that the valve hangs open and the quad will not even start.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:26 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider

Go here and ask the question.....or call Doug at Nicholas Cyle. I hope this helps.

Old 01-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Omahapredator on here knows how.........he has been through it many times. pm him and ask him.

Old 01-13-2005, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

my valves have never had too little of clearance...i've always had too much..LOL on the shims the 140 shim = 1.40mm and yamaha has the same size shims i believe the outside diameter is 9.XX mm, take one of your and go down there if your dealer can't help or you might just have to replace the valves...i would give your dealer a call and if he doesnt know what the h*ll your talking about give doug nicholas a call....but local dealer would be my first choice if they're reputable!! i'm not sure on the whole not enough clearance issue....do you run an aftermarket cdi??? have you done any internal mods??

Good Luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

When the valve system is shim under bucket the valves tend to get tighter instead of looser it is just the nature of the design. Most crotch rockets are the same way. I am just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or if adjustments are this frequent on other riders bikes as well. Thanks for all of your help so far. Once again any help is appreciated.